Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Dec 12–18, 2022

I have completed one hundred forty-five (145) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. I took a few walks, went to phenology, had lunch with a friend, and attended a musical program. Otherwise, I watched World Cup matches.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Traditions: Pajamas for Christmas. I wrote about how my Nana gave us pajamas for Christmas and how we were allowed to open them on Christmas Eve.

I didn’t write a Saturday Night Genealogy Fun post this week because I would have answered no to all of Randy’s questions about Santa Claus. It wouldn’t have been a very interesting post. My post last week about attending my freshman year at college was highlighted on Linda Stufflebean’s Friday Family History Finds post.

Meetings/Discussion Groups
On Monday, I had a full day, first meeting with the Kinseeker’s military SIG, then with Jacqueline. On Wednesday, we hosted the CGS Roundtable and discussed our memories of family times at Christmas. Friday was the Oakland FamilySearch Library meeting for volunteers and we learned about Animap.

Volunteer
I volunteered at the History Center on Tuesday and Saturday. I worked further on the library database, finishing up the entries. It is now time to do a shelf read, adding search terms to the database for each book. Saturday, I met up with Maxine and showed her the progress made by Jade in the clipping file room and we discussed the library database to upload to PastPerfect. Thursday evening was the board meeting, which we held this month on Zoom.

Client Work
This week I met with my AppGen partners and discussed the videos we are to make. I worked on that over the weekend and created four videos: one for my upcoming probate class, and three genealogy tips.

I gave a presentation to the Sacramento Public Library on Saturday afternoon. It was about using newspapers to add to our ancestor’s stories. It didn’t last as long as I had expected, so I should add a little more content. We did fill up the time by answering questions.

Own Work. I didn’t work on any of my own genealogy this week.

Webinars Viewed:

  • Japanese American Research by Linda Okazaki (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)
  • Lloyd's Of London: Its History and its Records for Shipping by Paul Milner (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)

I am reading: I didn’t read much this week.

  • Water Always Wins: Thriving in an Ae of Drought and Deluge by Erica Gies
  • A Song of Comfortable Chairs by Alexander McCall Smith


Other:
The semi-final and final games of the World Cup were very exciting and I enjoyed watching them.  Elaine and I attended the Lowell Ensemble at the Campbell Theater on Sunday afternoon. As always, it was very enjoyable. They plan to do another concert in March, so it’s on my calendar. I also walked around the neighborhood this week three times, once taking my binoculars, and saw over twelve different species. I also listened to a new podcast from Family Tree Magazine.

Photos for this week: It has been exceptionally cold each morning and the meadow clearly showed that during our phenology study.



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.