Skip to main content

I’d Like to Meet John H. Sullivan

John H. Sullivan, my paternal great-grandfather, was born on 20 June 1854, somewhere in Ireland to Jeremiah Sullivan and Mary Sheehan.[1]

Somewhere in Ireland is the mystery. The family passed down that they were from County Cork and likely near Castletownbere. After hiring a local researcher, some family records were found in Eyeries Parish, but not the marriage of his parents, nor the baptism of John.[2]

Likely his father worked in the mines and my researcher suggested the family moved around looking for work.

There are many questions to ask John, but I worry I might not understand him. My aunt said he had a very strong Irish brogue, even after all those years. It is possible he came to the U.S. with his family when he was about ten.

Where was he born? I cannot locate his baptism record at the Catholic Parish Registers on the National Library of Ireland website.

When did they arrive in the U.S.? I cannot locate a passenger record although he stated he arrived in October 1864, and his older brother, Eugene said he arrived in 1864.

When did he and Anna Gleeson marry? The earliest records at Holy Family Church in Mitchell, South Dakota do not exist.

What happened with the homestead land? He and Anna each had 160 acres. He sold his acreage but hers was sold by the sheriff. I’m sure it wasn’t easy to make a living off that cold prairie land.

Where did he learn to be an electrician? He worked at the Anaconda Reduction Works, but the early records don’t seem to exist.

What did his wife really die of? Her death certificate said she died of melancholia, contributed by exhaustion. What was that about?

Where are you buried? I have a photograph of his tombstone and was told it was in the Catholic cemetery in Pomona, but they have no record and when I visited, I couldn’t find the stone.

And finally, what did you like to do for fun? What was one of your best memories of childhood and of your parents? Once I had my questions asked, then I’d let him tell me anything he wanted to say about his life and his parent’s life. It seemed he lived away from them, never visiting, but his siblings knew where he lived, as he was listed as a surviving brother in obituaries.

John H Sullivan with his grandchildren,
Lorene Hork & Margaret Patterson
 

#52Ancestors-Week 1: I’d Like to Meet

This is my sixth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe. I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.


[1] Dept of Health Services, Death Certificate for John H. Sullivan (State of California), San Bernardino County, Certificate No. 32-028359, 1932, John H. Sullivan.

[2] Research of Riobard O’Dywer, notes held privately by author.


Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. How fortunate you have a photo of John Sullivan and two grandchildren! My husband has a Mary Shehen in his family tree (actually, two, mother/daughter) but they had already left Ireland and were in England by early 1800s so no indications of where in Ireland they were from, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.