Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of January 23–29, 2023

I have completed one hundred fifty-one (151) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. We had clear weather with some warming toward the end of the week. I stayed home most of the week, attending SLIG via Zoom. I went to the meadow for phenology, and on Saturday, Elaine and I went to the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden to view California native plants and an art show. We also purchased plants at Native Here.

Genealogy

Blog Writing: We have a new schedule for 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks and I ended up with two this week.

Oops! Paying Attention to Details is Vital in Genealogy Research For week 5, I wrote about the mistakes I found in my RootsMagic database and online at the FamilySearch Family Tree for Joseph Heinrich Horoch.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: What Genealogy Resources Are You Currently Using? I ended up writing about my research process and the tools I use.

Meetings/Discussion Groups
I attended no meetings or discussion groups this week. I was at SLIG (virtually).

Volunteer
I also had no genealogy volunteer work this week.

Client Work
Once my SLIG class was over, I reviewed my handout and presentation for the upcoming presentation to the Solano County Genealogical Society on February 4 on research church records. I sent off the handout to the program chair. This will be a virtual presentation.

I also firmed up the in-person presentation I will be giving to the Roots and Gold Dust Genealogical Society in Placerville in May.

I also got some good ideas about the law from my SLIG class to add to my probate course with Applied Genealogy Institute. I need to download appropriate pages from HeinOnline while we still have access.

Own Work
Of course, I didn’t have time to work on my own genealogy except for writing the blog post about Joseph Heinrich Horoch and correcting the mistake in RootsMagic and FamilySearch Tree.

Webinars Viewed.

  • Corpus Juris: Advanced Legal Concepts, course by Judy G. Russell, with guest lectures from Rick Sayre, Tom Jones, and LaBrenda Garrett-Nelson (SLIG)
  • Trousers, Black Domestic, Tacks & Housekeeping Bills: Problem-Solving with Trivial Details by Elizabeth Shown Mills (Legacy Family Tree)
  • Locating National Archives Resources with NARA’s Digitization Partners by Pam Sayre (Legacy)

I am reading:

  • Water Always Wins: Thriving in an Age of Drought and Deluge by Erica Gies
  • For Her Own Good: Two Centuries of the Experts’ Advice to Women by Barbara Ehrenreich
  • The Girls in Navy Blue by Alix Rickloff—FINISHED!

Other
The trip to the UC Berkeley Botanical Garden was very nice and the source of the photos this week. I am very attracted to the manzanitas and their pretty cup-like flowers. I purchased two plants at Native Here, one with white and one with pink flowers. Let’s hope they survive in my yard.

We also had an open house at the Walnut Creek Model Railroad Society and I ran trains. The first hour found my train coming apart several times. The second train ran much better. We had a very low turnout.

Photos for this week:





Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments