Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of February 13–20, 2023

I have completed one hundred fifty-four (154) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. I did my volunteer stints Tuesday & Wednesday, phenology on Thursday, and hiked with my hiking group on Wednesday. Other than that I stayed home.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:
My post last week about my grandparents fishing was highlighted on 52 Ancestors blog email. I haven’t written the one for this coming week yet on “I Can Identify.” Still thinking about it.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: List Some of Your Genealogy “Needs” This was a post about our to-do list really. I wrote about needing to finish my AppGen curriculum, writing a couple of articles for society newsletters, and to work on my BCG renewal.

Meetings/Discussion Groups
Monday was Kinseekers and we had more discussions about naturalization for WWII soldiers. Wednesday, I met with my certification mentee and caught up on her progress with her case study. Sunday, I attended the Virtual Sunday, group from the Seattle Genealogical Society, and with Book Club with Gena. We discussed For Her Own Good Two Centuries of the Experts Advice to Women.

Volunteer
I volunteered at the History Center on Tuesday where John and I finished the first go-through inventory. I entered all the books left on the table and on Saturday, began editing the database to match our handout sheet. Tuesday, I attended the Sonoma County Genealogical Society’s board meeting and took the minutes. On Thursday, I did the same with the Contra Costa County Historical Society’s board meeting. On Wednesday, I helped two ladies with some genealogy at the Oakland FamilySearch Center.

Client Work
Monday, I held my third Adult School in-person class on researching using online records. We covered cemetery websites such as Find a Grave and Billion Graves, and looked at newspapers and maps on the Library of Congress website.

I began seriously working on my Applied Genealogy Institute course and have the first week completed. Two more weeks to go. This will be my main activity each day until it’s finished.

Own Work
Not really working on my own work, except for going through files I have of wills and probates that I’ll use as examples in my AppGen class.

Webinars Viewed

  • Creating Your Ancestors World by Mary Roddy (Sonoma County Gen Soc)

I am reading:

  • For Her Own Good: Two Centuries of the Experts’ Advice to Women by Barbara Ehrenreich—Finished!
  • Gateway to Victory: The Wartime Story of the San Francisco Army Port of Embarkation by Captain James W. Hamilton

Other
Wednesday, the hiking group hiked at Black Diamond Mines Regional Park. We saw more blooming manzanitas as well as some other early blooming flowers.

Photos for this week
This week, I’m posting some flowers from around my neighborhood.




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. You've had a busy week, but it's great that you still had time to photograph such beautiful flowers. Spring is on the way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.