Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Aug 21–27, 2023

I have completed one hundred eighty-one (181) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. It was a quiet week: one trip to the History Center, a hike, phenology, the Train Club show, and dinner with my husband’s brother and sister-in-law.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings
Jacqueline and I zoomed in on Monday and I learned my sound was coming in garbled. Amigos met as well this week. Friday, our Der Blumenbaum team met about the upcoming issue. My articles won’t be needed until the next issue. I also caught up with my certification mentee. She is so close to submitting.

Genealogy Writing
This week, I have spent most of my free time working on the presentation for the upcoming Maine Genealogical Society seminar. I also wrote my normal three blog posts during the week. The post, Newest Discover, was highlighted in Linda Stufflebean’s post "Friday Family History Finds".

Blog Posts:

Newest Discovery: George Gorrell was the Executor of Mrs. Hardin’s Estate. For Week 34, I wrote about discovering a newspaper article about George selling land belonging to Mrs. Hardin. I had no idea he had been the executor of her estate.

SNGF: Did You Rabbit Hole This Week? Finding News Articles About Thelma Gorrell. After finding news articles for George, I decided to try his wife, Thelma. I was rewarded with lots of articles, many of which were letters to the editor of the Sacramento Bee.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work
I only went to the History Center once this week and worked exclusively on the library inventory, which I’m doing alone. It has actually worked out, as I am filling in information that had been left off the spreadsheet. I’m also discovering books I cannot find.   

Our AppGen fall registration closed on Wednesday and we met on Thursday to run the registration lottery. I had only nine registered for my class, but by Saturday, I had a full class. I will be teaching about land records.

Webinars Viewed:

  • Turning Witnesses into Evidence by Elizabeth Shown Mills (Legacy Family Tree Webinars)

Other:
Our weekly hike was in Tilden Park and surprisingly, we saw lots of plants still blooming. However, I left my phone on the charger, so I have no photos.  I also walked three other times in the neighborhood which supplied photos for this week.

More disappointing baseball games this week by the San Francisco Giants. Next week, the US Open starts and I can enjoy daytime tennis!

After hearing the poor sound coming from me during Zoom meetings (Jacqueline recorded it), I spent Friday trying to troubleshoot the problem. I first thought it was my internet connection which can be spotty at times, but even with using my cell phone as a hotspot, the sound was poor. What I ended up doing was trying several options: different headsets, plugging headsets directly into the computer, etc. while running short Zoom meetings and listening to the recording. Finally, it was determined the USB strip was not working properly, as when my mic was connected directly to the computer, the sound was fine. So, I ordered a new one from Amazon. I also played around with adding the third monitor I was given. The first cable I ordered didn’t work, but I got a connector to my second USB-C connection, and now I am set up with three monitors (one laptop and two auxiliary monitors). I’m in heaven.

I am reading:

  • A Taste for Vengeance by Martin Walker—Finished! Wow, this is the 11th book.
  • How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny

Photos for this week.




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I will write about what I have been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.