Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Aug 7–13, 2023

I have completed one hundred seventy-nine (179) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. I left the house for phenology (alone), a trip to the History Center, where I volunteer, and to train club for the board and business meeting. I also had lunch with Jacqueline in Oakland after the CGS cemetery tour.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings
Monday, I attended the Kinseeker’s Military SIG and then met with Jacqueline where we talked about CGS stuff. Wednesday, I hosted the CGS Roundtable and we discussed ideas on how to leave our genealogy after we are gone. Instead of Amigos meeting on Zoom this week, we met for dinner in Alameda. We had a great dinner and it was nice hearing about Stewart’s trip to Japan.

Genealogy Writing
This week, I spent most of my time reworking the syllabus, exercise handout, and PowerPoint presentations for my upcoming AppGen course on land research. I used comments made when I first taught this to tweak some parts and rework some other parts. I have to still create the presentations where I review the homework.

I submitted a draft of the article on railroad travel to the editor of the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society’s newsletter. She made lots of comments, so I have more research to do in order to add more content.  

Blog Posts:

Some Nilsen Reunions. For 52 Ancestors post, I wrote about the yearly reunions my husband’s mother’s family has had for many years. I found some photos from the 70s and 80s.

SNGF: My Genealogy Fan Charts. We were asked to display our genealogy using a fan chart. I made two, one for my line and one for my husband’s line. It was a good exercise to see where I could begin researching to try to extend the line further back.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work
At the History Center, I had a good conversation with the new Executive Director and then continued working on inputting the new accessions. I scheduled with John to come in on Monday to try to finish up the library inventory. I really want to get the list online on the website.  

I got out the press release for the upcoming BCG-sponsored webinar at Legacy Family Tree Webinars.

Webinars Viewed: I viewed none this week.

Other:
Our hiking group went to Sibley Preserve, part of the East Bay Regional Park District. It was uphill at the start and down along a wooded creek back to our cars.  

I watched televised games of the San Francisco Giants, who lost most of the games except on Sunday in the tenth inning.

I am reading:

  • Fatal Pursuit by Martin Walker—FINISHED!
  • Planning a Future for Your Family's Past by Marian Burk Wood—FINISHED!

Photos for this week. Our hike this week at Sibley. It’s nice to start seeing fruits on so many plants.





Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I will write about what I have been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Many thanks for reading my book this past week! It's always a good time for planning ahead to keep family history safe for the future. Have fun, take care.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.