Skip to main content

Sepia Saturday - School Days in Hilmar

This is my first time posting for Sepia Saturday. The theme is school days. Here is a photo of my mother-in-law, Thelma Nilsen, in the first-grade class at school in Hilmar, Merced County, California. The only way I got the photo of her class is because her cousin, Ken Lundquist, was also in the class and this photo came from his family records.

The reason her family did not purchase this photo is the little girl whose head is bent down is Thelma (see the middle row). So a lesson learned--seek out others in the class to locate photos you don't have. I'm not sure which boy is Ken--definitely one of the blond-haired boys.





Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Welcome to Sepia Saturday!
    Ha! I can see why the family didn't buy the photo. Do you know what year the photo was taken?
    I have gotten so many photos from cousins and other family members!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I think that would be me, because I do not like getting my photo made. Most of my school day photos have me looking very stern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's a terrific class photo! It's full of character and humor and I laughed to when I saw the bare feet. What year was it taken?
    And welcome to Sepia Saturday. We don't have prizes but this photo is a real winner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pictures like professional classroom photos taken once a year are an eagerly anticipated photographic opportunity, so when a child, as the one did, duck their head or make an odd face, etc, it causes the family unfortunate dismay. I wonder if Thelma suddenly had to sneeze, poor thing? And yes, I add my welcome to Sepia Saturday as well. Always fun and interesting to see someone new on the list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a likely explanation. Thank you for your welcome.

      Delete
  5. What a shame Thelma tipped her head just as the photo was taken! But congrats on finding a copy elsewhere. I was chewing gum during my first passport photo, which turned out terribly. It was a long 10 years until I could rectify that mistake and get a better one taken -- a lesson I never forgot, and I'll bet Thelma didn't either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My sympathies with the family not buying the photo. A pity as they are such a milestone event. I guess the photographer did not notice the sudden movement but I am surprised that there were not several shots taken so they could have printed another. Everybody has very neat haircuts. Welcome to the Sepia Saturday group.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.