Skip to main content

SNGF -- Make an Ahnentafel Report

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!






Our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings today is to:

1)  Have you made an Ahnentafel report ("name table" in German) recently?  Show us yours!  How did you do it?  Which program did you use?

Here's mine:
Unlike Randy, I started with my father in the number one spot. I also use RootsMagic and used the publish menu to produce the ahnentafel report.

An Ahnentafel is a genealogical method of numbering. How it works the ancestor’s father is always double their own number and the mother is plus one. So, my father is number one, his father twice that at number two, and his mother is plus one, making her number 3.  His father’s parents would then be 4 and 5 and his mother’s parents 6 and 7.

The Ahnentafel report then lists these people in numerical order but separates them by generation. My dad is in generation one, his parents in generation two, and his four grandparents in generation three. I had originally organized my genealogy binders and the records I had collected in this system. The problem was, I had to remember what each person’s number was to locate their records in the binders. It meant that all the people in the Hork family were not together in the same place. I replaced the system with single surname binders and then later file boxes.

However, if you wanted to create a huge genealogy of all your ancestors, this might be a good way. But be sure to have a good index, so your readers can find their ancestors.

Below are the first two pages of the Ahnentafel report for my father. All is good for the first four generations, but ancestors start dropping off in the fifth generation. I don't know who the parents are of Susana Raduntz, Jeremiah Sullivan, and Mary Sheehan. It only gets worse after that. 


Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. How many ancestors did you have total? Mine was a measly 32. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at our ancestors using these different reports certainly highlights the empty branches, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly does, but gives us a place to begin working.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.