Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Have You Written/Made Genealogy Books?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!


 




Our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is to:

1)   Have you written or made a genealogy or family history book for your family, for eBooks, or for book publication?  How did you do it?

Here's mine:
Yes, I have written genealogy books about my family. The first ones started small–a few pages stapled together. Later I wrote more pages and put the results in binders to hand out.

Finally, after getting a wonderful photo album of the Gleeson family, I put together a longer genealogy of the Gleeson, Tierney, Sullivan, and Hork families so I could use the photos. I sent out a survey to my siblings, father, his sisters, and my cousins, so I would have information to add about the current generations. I also asked my cousins about their memories of Nana. I made five copies, had Kinkos bind them for me, and gave them to my father and his sisters.

A few years before I retired, I contacted my husband’s aunt about writing a book about the Nilsen family. Every year there is a Nilsen Family reunion and my husband has lots of cousins. She thought it a good idea. She had lots of material for me to use. She also supported the funding for a good scanner and printer and paid for an Ancestry.com subscription. I worked on that book, writing about everyone in the three generations, starting with the four immigrants from Sweden. We had the book printed at the BYU Print Shop and sold it to family.

That was back in 2010. Unfortunately, I have not done another book. Once my BCG renewal portfolio is completed and turned in this year, I’m going to go back and think about doing some more books, maybe starting smaller. I should work on my mother's side of the family this time.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. It's great that you included photos in your book. Mine were more genealogical guides to descendants through the centuries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful that you have done so much to share the research that you have accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on making a couple of well-researched, well-illustrated books to share family history with relatives! You'll have more time when you finish your course work. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll have five years until the next renewal, so I hope to get lots of writing done.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.