Skip to main content

Fearless Females - Day 11

This is a blogging theme for the month of March which is Women's History Month. I'm a bit behind but do want to participate in the daily blogging posts. These 31 posts will be posted between my two blogs "My Trails Into the Past" and "Mam-ma's Southern Family."


March 11 — Did you have any female ancestors who died young or from tragic or unexpected circumstances? Describe and how did this affect the family?

Ethel Quigley with son, John
I have not found any direct line female ancestors who died young or from a tragic or unexpected circumstance.  However my grandmother, Anna Sullivan's sister, Ethel E. Quigley, died young on 26 Oct 1927, directly following the birth of her second child, Ann.  The baby died, too.

Ethel was born 11 Feb 1891 in Montana to John H. Sullivan and Anna Marie Gleeson.  She was their youngest child and she grew up in Anaconda, Montana.  When her mother died in 1912, she moved to Portland, Oregon to live with her grandparents, John and Margaret Gleeson. Later, she returned to Anaconda and worked as a stenographer.

She married John Vir Quigley "Vir" sometime before 1926 when her first son, John James Quigley, was born. I have not found the marriage record yet, but now think that since John James Quigley was born in San Francisco, the couple might have been married in California.  Vir worked as a mining engineer in California since the 1920's.

What is really sad, is she died so young and probably as a result of the pregnancy or birth.  I wonder if I would have survived giving birth had I lived 100 years ago.  Both of my children were born through a Cesarean section.  Today, we have so much available in medical treatment.

Copyright © 2011 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past

Comments

  1. Hi Lisa,

    Do you know if any of the Quigley's live down here in Southern California. My husband drag races and there is a Quigley family who also races. I was wondering if maybe we are related to them.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. John J. had three sons: Patrick, Mark, and Stephen. I don't know much more than that. John's wife is still alive, I think, living in Napa. I could tell you more via email.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.