Skip to main content

Fearless Females - Day 13

This is a blogging theme for the month of March which is Women's History Month. I'm a bit behind but do want to participate in the daily blogging posts. These 31 posts will be posted between my two blogs "My Trails Into the Past" and "Mam-ma's Southern Family."

March 13 — Moment of Strength: share a story where a female ancestor showed courage or strength in a difficult situation.


Julia A. Hork
This was a difficult theme for me.  I feel I don't know my female ancestors well enough to answer this. But I came up with my great-grandmother, Julia (Sievert) Hork.  She separated from my great-grandfather, John A. Hork.

It probably took a lot of courage to send your husband out of the house.  I don't know any of the details.  He probably drank too much.  And because of the drinking problem, probably had little work.  He was a tailor.  Newspaper articles I have found said he was an excellent tailor.  But maybe the drinking got in the way of making a good living.  The family moved around a lot before settling in Hamilton, Montana.  Perhaps his drinking reputation forced him to move periodically to a new place.

Anyway, she sent him off when she still had young children at home.  My grandfather was but four or five.  Did she ever regret it?  I'll never know.  But I'm sure she did it to save her family.


Copyright © 2011 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past

Comments