Skip to main content

Fearless Females - Day 14

This is a blogging theme for the month of March which is Women's History Month. I'm a bit behind but do want to participate in the daily blogging posts. These 31 posts will be posted between my two blogs "My Trails Into the Past" and "Mam-ma's Southern Family."


March 14 — Newsmakers? Did you have a female ancestor who made the news? Why? Was she famous or notorious? Did she appear in the social column?


No female ancestor that I have found has been the subject of "news" in the newspaper, however many ancestors have been the subject of Society News.  My husband's grandmother, Matilda (Davey) Gorrell was very active in Society affairs in Webb City, Missouri.  She was active with her church group,

Joplin (Missouri) Globe, 9 Oct 1938, p B3

the Webb City Temperance Union, and with the Webb City Garden Club.  

Joplin (Missouri) Globe, 13 Jul 1947, p B3

I even found a notice of her illness.

Joplin (Missouri) Globe, 5 Jan 1935, p 4



Copyright © 2011 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past

Comments