Skip to main content

Fearless Females - Day 4 Marriages

This is a blogging theme for the month of March which is Women's History Month.  I'm a bit behind but do want to participate in the daily blogging posts.  These 31 posts will be posted between my two blogs "My Trails Into the Past" and "Mam-ma's Southern Family."

March 4 — Do you have marriage records for your grandparents or great-grandparents? Write a post about where they were married and when. Any family stories about the wedding day? Post a photo too if you have one.

I have the marriage record for my great-grandparents, Johan Anton Hork & Julia Ann Sievert.  This record came from St. John the Baptist German Catholic Church in Joliet, Illinois.  The secretary there was very nice to photocopy the record from their marriage register.  This was a grand record, because I found the names of their parents and the names of the villiages the families came from.  The Horks are from a part of German that is in Nordrhein-Westfalia and the Sieverts come from a part of Germany that is now in Poland, near Posen.  This was a major breakthrough for me and enabled me to do real research in German Church records that the Family History Library had microfilmed!

I don't know much about Johan Anton Hork and Julia Ann Sievert.  Johan Anton was born in Germany while Julia was born in Illinois, shortly after her family arrived in Joliet.  They had ten children and my grandfather, William Cyril, was the youngest.





Copyright © 2011 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past

Comments