Skip to main content

Fearless Females - Day 9

This is a blogging theme for the month of March which is Women's History Month. I'm a bit behind but do want to participate in the daily blogging posts. These 31 posts will be posted between my two blogs "My Trails Into the Past" and "Mam-ma's Southern Family."

March 9 — Take a family document (baptismal certificate, passenger list, naturalization petition, etc.) and write a brief narrative using the information.
S.S. Belgenland ship list with Clementine & Albert Hork(1)

This is a ship record for my great grandfather's brother, Rev. Albert Hork, and sister, Clementina Hork, who arrived in the United States in 1891.  This was at least the second time that Albert had arrived.  He had lived previously in Wisconsin.  But I think this is the first time for Clementina.

The record states that the S.S. Belgenland arrived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on the 9 November 1891.  The Rev Albert M Hork and Clementina Hork were passengers in the Saloon (probably means the Salon), Second Cabin.  Albert is listed as 38 years old, male, a Rev., a citizen of America, going to Philadelphia, and has 1 bag.  Clementina is listed as Miss Cle Hork, 40, female, occupation listed as private, citizen of Germany, going to Philadelphia, and has 1 bag.  All passengers were listed as being a settler.


I was very excited to see this record on Ancestry.com.  I didn't know any other Horks had arrived in America except my great grandfather, Johan Anton and his brother, Rev Johan Albert M Hork.  Now I want to find out as much as I can about Clementina.

I have a birth and baptism record for her. She was born 9 Aug 1951 and baptized the next day.(2)  I have also found her in Brooklyn, New York city directories, living at 1031 DeKalb av.  She is a dressmaker.  This coincides with her brother's and father's occupations as tailors.  I first find her in the 1897 listing.(3)  She is also listed in the 1900 and 1910 Kings County, NY censuses.(4) 

But this is where I lose the trail.  What has become of her?  Online sites for death records has no Clementina.  Online cemetery sites had no Clementina.  She's probably too old to marry, but I checked marriage records, too.

So she's one of my mystery women I'm anxious to learn more about.

1 "Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945," online images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 10 Dec 2010), manifest, S.S. Belgenland, 9 Nov 1891, Rev. Alb. M. Hork & Miss Cle Hork. 
2  Baptism of Maria Clementina Horoch, Intl 1257843, Taufen 1848-1878, pg 16, 1851.
3 Lain & Healy, Lain & Healy's Brooklyn Directory, 1897-1898: 625, Clementine Hark; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 26 Dec 2011). Also 1898-1899: 538; 1900: 709.
4 1900 U.S. census, Kings, New York, population schedule, Brooklyn, enumeration district (ED) 344, sheet 6a, p. 285 (stamped), dwelling 77, family 111, Clementine Hork; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 18 Mar 2011); also 1910 U.S. census, Kings, New York, pop. sch., Brooklyn, ED 886, sheet 11A, p. 48 (stamped), dwell. 59, fam. 247, Clementina Hork.

Copyright © 2011 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past

Comments