Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun–Some Semi-Random Search

It’s Saturday Night Genealogy Fun time. Randy Seaver from Genea-Musings has set out challenge for the week:

1)  We're to take the first two letters of our first name and find in our family tree database the first person in our alpha list that begins with those first two letters.
2)  Next, write about what you know about that person (even do some research to find more). Describe h
ow you are related to this person, and why is s/he in your family tree?
3)  Tell us about it in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, or in a Facebook Status post or Google+ Stream post.
I have the first name of Lisa, so my first two letters to begin this challenge is LI. I use RootsMagic and the first person beginning with LI is the surname Liese.

Mariam Franciscam Liese was married to Johann Heinrich Sommer, my 3rd great granduncle, so I am not related to her. I have very little information about her. I know the date of their marriage on 29 Oct 1791 in Kirchhundem, Kreis Olpe, Westfalen. This information comes from FamilySearch database, “Germany Marriages, 1558-1929.” The marriage place was Sankt Peter und Paul (Sts Peter & Paul).

This is a derivative database and the record gives Mariam’s parents’ names: Friderici Josephi Liese and Angelae Reginae Zoppenfeld. But no ages were given. I also have a film number to check: 1257833. This film, based on the library catalog, has the Kirchenbuch[Churchbook], 1637-1874 of Katholische Kirche [Catholic Church]Sankt Peter und Paul Kirchhundem (Kr. Olpe). It has the Parish register of baptisms, marriages, deaths, confirmations and indexes. It is also in Latin and German. You can see that in the way the names were spelled above. Those are Latinized German names. Now it’s the challenge to figure out what their real German names were!

So next time I go to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, I need to check out this film to find the original record and perhaps I can find out more about Mariam. I did check the Historical Record Collections at familysearch.org but these church records from Westfalen were not there.




Comments