Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Your Best Find of 2016, and Research Challenge for 2017


Another assignment from Randy Seaver at Genea-musing:
Your mission, should you decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible! music) is to:
1)  What was your best research achievement in 2016?  Tell us - show us a document, or tell us a story, or display a photograph.  Brag a bit!  You've earned it!
 2)  We all have elusive ancestors.  What research problem do you want to work on in 2017?  Tell us where you want to research and what you hope to find.
 3)  Put the answers in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a Facebook or Google+ post.
My biggest accomplishment in my research in 2016 was finding the probate packet for Robert Lancaster. This was a big estate and the inventory was several pages. What excited me most was learning that he had two whiskey stills. I wanted to learn all about how whiskey was made in the 1840s and I even got to taste some bourbon whiskey.

I made the posts on my other blog: Mam-ma’s Southern Family with the following:
Robert Lancaster Estate: Such a Large Bond!
Robert Lancaster Estate: A Very Large Inventory–Part I           
Robert Lancaster Estate: A Very Large Inventory—Part II
Robert Lancaster Estate: A Very Large Inventory—Part III: Some of the Slaves           
Robert Lancaster Estate: A Very Large Inventory—Part IV:How About Some Whiskey         
Robert Lancaster Estate: Intermission About Whiskey Making           
Robert Lancaster’s Estate: Wheat farming
Robert Lancaster Estate Continued: Division of Robert Lancaster’s Land in Shelby County, Kentucky

For 2017, I could probably squeeze out a few more as I continue to analyze his estate, his land division, tax records, and the purchase of the land. This I will continue to do in 2017. I would also like to write up a story about the Lancaster family.

Copyright © 2017 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Best wishes to you on your 2017 genealogical adventure!

    You know, your name always gives me pause. My name is Suzanne and my husband's first two girlfriends were named Lisa. A year or so ago, I found out that I am a distant cousin of the first of them. So, no matter which of us he ended up with, he would have been joining my family. Of course, marrying anyone in that county would have had him marrying into my family. :)

    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Suzanne, for stopping by. I hope 2017 is great researching for you, too!

      Delete
  2. Aren't probate packets wonderful? I found one with 87 pages that even detailed the surviving grandchildren through the decedent's children who predeceased him. Hope 2017 is a great year for discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love Probates, too. They take a lot longer to analyze but can be very rewarding. Thank you, Linda, for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on finding the probate records! Did you check on his land records? I am just assuming he had some with such a large estate. KY land records are an interesting study in themselves. Good luck in finding out more in 2017. You have really great information already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Analyzing the land records is next on the agenda. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.