Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - What Are Your Genealogy Goals for 2017?

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing has his weekly SNGF mission. Our mission to day is:

What goals do you have for your genealogy research, education and writing during 2017?

My goals for 2017:

Research:
I have planned two (2) research trips to Salt Lake City and the Family History Library. The first trip will be the week following SLIG (Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy) where I will move from the Hilton to the Plaza Hotel and research for a week at the library with the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society’s group. The second trip will be in April when I take a group of genealogists from the California Genealogical Society to research for a week at the library.

In March, on our way back from a trip to South Texas, I will stop in Little Rock, Arkansas, where I’ll take some time to visit the archives there as well as the Capital building and the Clinton Library. A day trip up to Conway in Faulkner County might be in order, too, to collect some more land records and poke into some of the records in the vault at the courthouse.

In July, a friend and I are attending the International Germanic GenealogySeminar in Minneapolis. Afterwards I’m planning a road trip to Mitchell, South Dakota for some research into court, church, and land records. Then we’re driving down towards Omaha for the flight home. Before leaving, though, we’ll take a trip over the border to Iowa and Montgomery county where I’ll do some court, land, and church record research of my husband’s Swedish ancestors. I might visit family or the cemeteries.

Of course, I do a little research every day from home!

Education:
I am taking the course “You Be the Judge” at SLIG this month. This is the only institute class I have planned this year (so far).

I attend at least two, but often up to six webinars per month and view or participate in Hangouts with Myrt several times a month. I attend classes at the local genealogy societies each month. I teach two six-week courses on beginning and intermediate genealogy with the partnership of the local society and family history center, and present at several society meetings during the year. I have booked four so far this year.

I also try to read up on subjects I’m not familiar with. I’m currently reading The Genealogist’s Guide to Researching Tax Records by Carol Cooke Darrow and Susan Winchester. I hope to work my way through Blaine Bettinger’s Genetic Genealogy in Practice to learn more about DNA. I also read every article in the NGS Quarterly and try to participate in the NGSQ Study Group once a month when I can.

Writing:
I am committed this year to write more in my two blogs, Mam-ma’s Southern Family and My Trails into the Past. I would like to pick one line of my family and make an outline to start a family history book. I would also like to write more proof arguments to add to my database and perhaps to send to some quarterlies.

What are your plans for 2017?

Copyright © 2017 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments