Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- "The Other You"

Randy Seaver of Genea-musings has a new challenge today.
* Tell us about your "other" hobbies or interests outside of genealogy and family history research, writing, speaking, etc.  Be mindful of your family's privacy, though!
 * Write a blog post of your own, respond with a comment to this post, or write a Facebook status post or a Google+ Stream post.
My immediate family thinks all I do is genealogy. It is true that every day I try to fit in genealogy as part of my day.  In the morning I check emails and Facebook to see what’s happening in the genealogy world. If someone describes a new database, I usually think of someone in my database that this might apply to and do a quick search. I also multitask while watching television with my husband, either writing a blog post, searching in Ancestry or FamilySearch, or entering data into my genealogy program.

But I do find time to do other things.

Exercise
I try to play Pickleball three days a week (Mon/Wed/Fri). There’s Yoga on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, too. Walking the dog to the mailbox is another activity, though not every day.

German
I take two classes a week, one with the adult education center where we practice speaking, do grammar exercises, and read and translate literature. The other class is smaller and we also practice speaking and playing games. Sometimes we watch German TV and eat at German restaurants.

Music
I love listening to music and still have all of my L.P. albums. I play ukulele with a club at the Senior Center. It’s a blast singing Hawaiian songs as well as songs from the 50s, 60s and 70s. I also play the guitar and take a private lesson once a week.

Misc. Hobbies
I love to read, especially historical fiction and mysteries. I love to play Scrabble, do crossword puzzles, and put together jigsaw puzzles. I birdwatch and do photography, with flowers as my favorite subject. I do a bit of gardening grow California natives. I follow Giants baseball and watch some tennis and women’s soccer.


Volunteer Activities

I am a board member for the Contra Costa County Historical Society and volunteer as a researcher once a week. I volunteer with the National Parks at the John Muir Historical Site, where I do a phenology study once a week. I also volunteer with local genealogy societies.


I think having other activities makes for a well-rounded person and perhaps a better genealogist. Even when I'm doing other things, I'm thinking about genealogy!


Copyright © 2017 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I think you're doing better than I at not allowing genealogy to take over your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of Pickleball. It sounds interesting. And the John Muir activities sound really cool. I too, do a lot of online searches and blogging while keeping my husband company during his television viewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to play tennis and badminton. It's similar and lots of fun. Luckily there are courts right in Martinez and $4 per day for 2 hours is not too bad. I could drive farther and play for free but I like to support a local business.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I guess I need someone to take my photo while taking photos!

      Delete
  4. I love yoga and jigsaw puzzles! Though I don't do puzzles as often as I used to, because my 4-year-old always wants to help and puzzles are meant to be a few hours of "me time." ;)

    One of these days, I need to take Italian classes. Even though my Italian cousins speak English, it would be nice to have the ability to speak Italian, not to mention immerse myself in my maternal culture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jigsaw puzzles are hard with young children. Set one out that just for your child.

      Do the Italian class. There's something satisfying in communicating with others in another language. I returned to German (had it in HS and college) so help with genealogy research. I read and write it pretty well, but speaking and listening was hard for me. This adult school class has been great in improving my listening skills. Everyone else has lived in Germany some time in their life.

      Delete
    2. I really should! We have a community college and community center that offer a wide variety of courses. I'm keeping my out for Italian.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.