Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- The Homes I've Lived In

Randy Seaver's post this week has an interesting assignment:
1)  Read Linda Stufflebean's blog post, "Homes In Which I've Lived" on her Empty Branches on the Family Tree blog. 
2)  This week, please list the homes in which that you have resided (not just visited) from your birth until the present. 
3)  Share your list in your own blog post, in a comment on this post, or on Facebook or Google+.  Please provide a link to your list as a comment to this post.

I lived in a total of five addresses my entire life: three with my parents, one on my own, and one with my husband and children. I am grateful that I have not had to move much, but regretful that I didn’t get a chance to see new places. I envy those who move often, as they are able to cull excess belongings each time they move.

My grandparents helped my parents purchase a house in West Pittsburg, in an area called Shore Acres. Their address there was 35 Harbor Dr. This is where my parents were living when I was born. I think that my parents could not handle the house payment. Perhaps they sold the house.

My mother and me at 35 Harbor Dr, West Pittsburg, 1954

In the 1955 Pittsburg, California city directory, my parents lived at 467 East 9th Street and continued to live here until Spring of 1963.

1963 birthday party in front of 467 East 9th St, Pittsburg

From 1963 to 1988, my parents lived at 130 Paulson Lane. It was painted red when we moved in but around 1970, my parents had it painted green. It was a great house, full of knotty pine paneling and hardwood floors. We lived on a quiet street that dead-ended at Las Trampas creek where we all played in during summers. The house and property were purchased by the California Department of Transportation in order to widen Interstate 680. My parents and youngest sisters moved across the street to the old Potter home at 141 Paulson Ln.

130 Paulson Lane, Walnut Creek

I moved out in 1979 to my own apartment at 141 Flora Avenue, Walnut Creek. I had lived at home while attending college in Hayward (CSUH) and I worked a year or so at BART before I had enough money to live on my own. Just before we were married, I received a notice that the apartment was converting to condos. The photo below is from Google Street View. I have no photos taken of the place at all. My apartment was on the floor above the carport. In 1979, there was an earthquake that shook so much it woke me up. I think it had to do with being over the carport.

141 Flora Ave, Walnut Creek (north side)

The last house I have lived in is 781 Wilson Avenue, Martinez. We have been here 37 years and raised two daughters here, as well as several Australian Shepherds.

Our current home

Copyright © 2017 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments