Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of Aug 4-9, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

I have completed twenty-one weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. I left the house this past week only to do phenology at the meadow. My illness of last weekend cleared and I’m feeling fine.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Blogs posted this past week:

Study Groups Attended:   

  • Monday Morning Group. Thirteen people attended and we talked about webinars, DNA, settler’s guides.    
  • NGSQ Study Group discussed Jill Morelli’s article.
  • Met with Jacqueline and we tried to figure out which FGS classes to take and which SLIG courses.
  • Three of us Amigos met on Wednesday for a very quick get-together.
  • Three of us were on for the Thursday evening discussion group and we talked institute classes among other topics.
  • My Friday Cert Discussion group met with four of us. Glad to see Josh again. We talked a lot about virtual courses, and what we should discuss the next week: LaBrenda’s NGSQ article and the BCG webinar on certification.
  • Book Club, where we brought books we are reading or have read. I have a big list of new books to read.

Webinars Attended:

  • “Constructing Clear Citations” by Tom Jones (NGS Conference recording)
  • “Transcribing Documents” by Julie Miller (NGS Conference recording)
  • “How’d You Find That?” by Cari Taplin
  • “Military Records,” by Linda Okazaki & Jonathan Deiss (Densho)
  • “Preparing A Portfolio,” by LaBrenda Garrett-Nelson, Rick Sayre, and Angela McGhie (LFT)

Client Work/PresentationsI worked a few hours this week on client research and the report.

I also presented the “Writing Stories” for the Writing Series at the California Genealogical Society via Zoom. It was a bit scary but I think it went surprising well. There was a lot of participation, which I was afraid wouldn’t happen because we weren’t in a classroom. I had them write for ten minutes and it was weird not having anything to do. I worked on the next presentation, fine-tuning some things and will give it on Tuesday.

Own Work:

Homework for the Write as You Go class was started. I have 14 pages done, but the question is not yet solved. I found one of Mary Davey’s husbands, so that is a start.

I scanned some photos of my sister that I found in a file of my father’s. I gave the photos to her this weekend.

I signed up for two classes at Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG) that will be held in January 2021. One is on migration in the U.S. and the other on researching social history. I am looking forward to both!


Other:  I started reading: Atlas of American Migration by Stephen A. Flanders. Besides very interesting maps, it is a brief history of the United States through the eyes of immigration and migration. Not fully sourced, there are references in the back. This was a used book, originally at a high school library. I am reading these books in preparation for my January SLIG class. 

 Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments