Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of April 26-May 2, 2021

I have completed fifty-nine (59) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. This past week, I taught at the Adult School, picked up internet order from JC Penney, volunteered at the History Center twice, went to the meadow for phenology, hiked with two vaccinated friends, visited with brother-in-law’s family, and went to Home Depot. Other than that, I stayed home and worked on the computer. I guess I really wasn’t that locked down this week!

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Week 17: Favorite Place—The Creek I wrote about our adventures at Las Trampas Creek, located at the end of the street where I grew up.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Are Your Top Autosomal DNA Matches in Your Tree? I listed those matches that I knew where in my tree from Ancestry, FamilyTree DNA, MyHeritage, 23andMe, and LivingDNA.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: I met with Jacqueline on Tuesday, the CGS Desk Duty meeting on Thursday, and attended Book Club on Sunday, where we discussed The Glass Universe. I listened in on some of the Certification Study Group on Wednesday. I had a few meetings with groups where we’re planning upcoming events that for now can remain unannounced.

Webinars & Classes Attended
:
I attended no webinars this week.

Client Work/Presentations
:
I taught my last sessions of the Adult School on Monday. I’ll need to plan out what I’m going to do this fall. I sent out letters to both clients on the progress from April.  

Volunteer & Own Work:
I went to the History Center twice this week, working on the inventory list on Tuesday and meeting with Maxine on Saturday. Janet was there, too, and we got some plans created. I hosted the CGS Intro Class on Saturday with Jennifer teaching. Not as many people signed up and came, so perhaps with things opening up more, people are attending less online classes. 
I have not worked on any of my own work. I have ideas for some articles and need to add them to my to-do list.

Other: I went on a wildflower hike with friends, Elaine and Phred at the Sugarloaf State Park near Kentwood. The area had been burned a couple of years ago and we went to see the Whispering Bells, which is a fire follower. We saw many other wonderful flowers.

I also weeded and watered my native garden. I still have quite a few poppies blooming along with some irises. The other penstemons are blooming now, too.

Wednesday, we took a trip up to visit with Norman’s brother, wife, and niece, who is leaving soon for North Carolina. After a visit at their house, we went into Sacramento to eat dinner at One-Speed, where I got a very delicious gluten-free pizza. No tables were available so we ate inside (our first time) and there were only one other person eating. It was a pleasurable day!

I’m reading the following books:

  • The Glass Universe by Dava Sobel
  • 1919, The Year of Racial Violence by David F. Krugler
  • Schooled by Gordon Korman
  • Writing Interesting Family Histories by Carol Baxter

Photos taken this week:  From my trip to Sugarloaf State Park.





From our Sacramento visit. 
Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. What kind of snake is that? My husband met his first rattler of the season yesterday on the golf course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not a rattler. Probably a gopher snake. We carefully stepped around it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.