Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Are Your Top Autosomal DNA Matches in Your Tree?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

Time for some more Genealogy Fun!!

Here is this week’s assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing:

1)  Have you done an autosomal DNA test?  If so, which testing company/ies?  

2)  Of your Top 10 DNA matches on any site, how many are a known relative, and are they in your family tree?  No names...but give a known relationship if possible.

3)  Tell us about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a Facebook Status post.  Please leave a link in a comment to this post
.

Here's mine. I have listed only those I knew who they are:

At Ancestry, I have 36,703 matches, many of which I have not even investigated. I do have close matches:

  • Daughter, 3484 cM
  • Brother, 2666 cM
  • First cousin, once removed, paternal side, 507 cM
  • First cousin, once removed, maternal side, 429 cM
  • First cousin, once removed, maternal side, 364 cM
  • First cousin, once removed, maternal side, 347 cM
  • First cousin, once removed, maternal side, 296 cM
  • First cousin, once removed, paternal side, 242 cM
  • Second cousin, paternal side, 213 cM
  • Third cousin, paternal side, 205 cM

At 23andMe, I have 1500 matches, again not many I have investigated. I have a few close matches:

  • Daughter, 50%
  • Daughter, 50%
  • Niece, paternal, 29.33%
  • Bunch of 1C1R and 1C2R that I can’t identify

At MyHeritage, I have 15,070 matches. My closest matched are:

  • First cousin, 2x removed on paternal side, 170.1 cM
  • Second cousin, 2x removed on maternal side, 96.9 cM

At FamilyTreeDNA, I have 6090 matches. My closest marches are:

  • Paternal aunt, 1888 cM
  • Maternal grandmother, 1811 cM
  • First cousin, 4 times removed, 180 cM
  • Second cousin, once removed, paternal side, 111 cM

At LivingDNA, I do not know who the matches are. The highest cM is a 67.6 cM match.

Except for Ancestry, I have difficulty figuring out who the matches are. Many have pseudonyms. I really need to work on DNA more, and perhaps I will after I take the IGHR beginning DNA class from Patti Hobbs. 


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I'm starting to think that 23 and Me limits the number of matches to 1,500. It couldn't be a coincidence that you and I have the same number of matches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem odd to have a round number like 1500.

      Delete
  2. It looks like you have many relatives who have tested. I only have one first cousin and a handful of second cousins. It's annoying finding all the matches with pseudonyms, isn't it? I usually totally skip those matches, especially if they have a tree with one or two people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't get me started with three-person trees with no names.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.