Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of December 20–26, 2021

I have completed ninety-three (93) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. I went out five times. Monday for a lab test and German Class Christmas party, Tuesday to Napa to meet daughter for lunch and have our booster shot at Napa Kaiser, Friday to the Meadow for phenology (because on Thursday it was pouring), and on Christmas to our daughter’s house.

Genealogy

Blog Writing: My post last week about my husband’s grandfather working as a telephone lineman was spotlighted in the 52 Ancestors weekly email.

52 Ancestors—Week 51: Holidays Celebrated by my Grandparents I posted some shots of my grandparents celebrating Christmas with their dog or with our family.

Merry Christmas! I posted an image of one of the old German postcards I bought from a Dutch seller with the words fröhliche Weihnachten!.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: Jacqueline and I met on Monday. The rest of the groups are on holiday.

ClientWork/Presentations: None. I started outlining my Foundations I class for AppGen Institute to be taught this spring.

Volunteer Work: Because of the holiday, all volunteer work is on hiatus until January.

Own Work: I have continued this week, going through old folders of notes, and photocopies of records and correspondence. Before I toss them, I have been recording bits of information into Word documents and have a small stack to take to the FamilySearch Library to scan on the photocopy machine. I worked on KETHLEY, RODGERS, and POLLY families this week.

Webinars Viewed: I watched a replay of Judy G. Russell’s webinar on the Kinship Determination Projection.

Other: I was pretty wiped out for three days after my shot, beginning that evening. The aches and chills lasted about 12 hours and made it very difficult to sleep. Even after the fever broke, I still had some aches in my back and head and took daily naps. It was fine, as it rained quite a bit this week.

I took my sisters to dinner at Roxx’s on the Main. It was nice catching up, though it was difficult to hear in the loud restaurant. We were the last to leave.

Christmas was spent with Elizabeth, where we had a nice walk around her neighborhood between the rain showers, and for dinner, we made potato soup, roasted root vegetables, and sauteed kale with garlic. Time flew by and we didn’t leave until nearly midnight, getting home after 1:30 a.m.

I am reading:

  • A Fatal Winter by G.M. Mallet
  • Gospel According to the Klan by Kelly J. Baker
  • Homesteading the Plains: Toward a New History by Richard Edwards, Jacob K Friefeld, & Rebecca S. Wingo
  • The Christmas Wedding Guest by Susan Mallery--FINISHED

Photos for this week:

Our potato soup

One of many decorations we saw on our walk

Luther Burbank gardens is in her neighborhood

The meadow after a rain

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

 


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Potato soup looks yummy. We have rain coming this week. Hope you are enjoying the holiday season. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you and yours a healthy new year ahead!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.