Skip to main content

Library – Research Trip in Turlock, California

I had been planning a research trip to Turlock, California with a friend since the pandemic started. We both have family who lived in the area, though my husband’s family lived here early in the 20th century and hers lived there in the mid-to-late part of the century.

We used Trello to make our plans. It’s a great place to put details of each research facility and what specific things we hope to see there. We had three main places for research: the archives at the California State University Stanislaus (CSUS) library, the Turlock Historical Society, and the Turlock Public Library. We also planned trips to the cemetery and funeral home. We spent two nights and three days in Turlock.

CSUS
The first stop was the library at CSUS. The archivist had all the items we requested laid out on the tables. 

It was very helpful to contact her ahead of time. One of the items I wanted to see was a master’s dissertation but it was not available for me because the microfilm machine at the library was in disrepair. I was interested in a mercantile company’s records, items about World War I, farming (specifically the Turlock Irrigation District), and anything that mentioned my Lundquist or Nilsen family.

Although I found little about my family, I managed to take 125 images of documents. Some were from the Turlock Journal, the Stanislaus Stepping Stones (the historical society’s journal), and images of a Merced WWI soldier’s diary and photos. It still was a productive day.

Turlock Historical Society
We had arranged a tour with the president of the society. They are in the process of revamping their exhibits which were very nicely arranged. We were not able to view their archives. They are in the process of determining what they have and I will wait to email them in about six months to check on their progress. I did learn that Hilmar, where my Lundquist and Nilsen families lived, is also getting ready to have their historical society museum set up. I will be contacting them soon. The Turlock Historical Society did have copies of Turlock High School and Jacqueline was able to find her parents and uncles in the book.


Turlock Public Library
We came here primarily to view the newspapers they have on microfilm but we discovered they also have city directories of Turlock and Modesto from 1922 to 2000. I found listings of my farmers in the pages on rural routes. I looked through some early newspapers but didn’t find much. I was disappointed that there were no newspapers available during the beginning of WWI where I expected to see possible articles of local men going off to war. We heard at the CSUS library and the historical society that there might be a digitization project in the future. That will be a blessing to be able to do a name search.


Research road trips are always fun and can be very rewarding. Do make plans and contact the places you are interested in visiting first so you are not disappointed they are not open or have information you want.

#52Ancestors-Week 32: Library – My Research Trip in Turlock California

This is my fifth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe. I write each week on one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Sometime you just need to get away. It's nice to be able to travel again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.