Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of August 15-21, 2022

I have completed one hundred twenty-eight (128) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. I had a much quieter week with little outside activity besides the History Center, Oakland FamilySearch Library, phenology, and shopping at Penney’s.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Service – Fountain Service at Quig’s Fountain. I wrote about the restaurant my great-uncle ran using ads I found on newspaper websites.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: What Are You Reading This Summer? We were to list books we were reading and state how they help our genealogy research. None of the books I’ve read were useful for research. I read mysteries for enjoyment, but I also had some non-fiction books I read for book club.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended:
On Monday, I attended three meetings: CGS hosts where we discussed Zoom issues, the AppGen founders meeting where we placed students into the classes after registration, and a Zoom meeting with Jacqueline. I sat in on the NGSQ study group on Tuesday, but I hadn’t read the article. I will miss our interactions on Basecamp. I’m not sure I’ll participate when we move to Zoom. I can never get in a word using that platform. Wednesday, I attended the Certification Discussion Group and heard about Sarah’s portfolio journey.

Client Work/Presentations:
Thursday, I hosted the third of three summer writing workshops and we agreed to meet again in the fall from October through December, twice a month. On Saturday, I presented my farming talk to the Castle Rock Colorado Genealogical Society.

I also worked on my AppGen course on Foundations 2. It’s moving along as I work on it, and more ideas come to me about earlier portions. My aim is to be finished before I leave for our trip.

Volunteer Work:
I volunteered at the History Center on Tuesday and am glad that Mike is back. I continued working in the library, rearranging books. I have two more columns of books to enter in the database. After that, I’ll need to add more keywords. Our board meeting on Thursday could not continue because we didn’t have a quorum. I also volunteered at the Oakland FS Library and learned how to use the new scanner while helping a patron.

Own Work:
I worked on my semi-annual column for the California Genealogical Society’s journal, The Nugget, and turned it in for the fall issue.

Webinars Viewed:

  • Finding & Using Digitized Manuscripts for Genealogy Research by Annette Burke Lyttle
  • Appreciating Conflicting Evidence by Rebecca Whitman Koford
  • Finding Fayette’s Father: Autosomal DNA Reveals Misattributed Parentage by Jennifer Zinck

Other: I’ve watched Giants baseball this week and it has been disappointing to see them lose four games in a row after winning five straight games. Starting pitching has been good but the relievers don’t always keep a lead and many of the hitters have missed good opportunities for runs with runners on base. Lastly, there have been costly errors. Still, I enjoy watching. I’m no fair-weather fan. #Forever Giant. P.S. They won on Sunday in extra innings!

I am reading:

  • The Birth Certificate: An American History by Susan J. Pearson
  • The Oxford Guide to Library Research by Thomas Mann
  • Singin’ in the Rain: The Making of an American Masterpiece by Earl J Hess & Pratibha A. Dabholkar

Photos for this week:



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I am with you on that last comment about not documenting our own lives. Me, I even don't document my parents' lives very well even though I have notes that need to be transcribed. They both passed some years ago. It's odd how I think I will do that some day when it should be a priority. I did finally update FindaGrave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have inspired me to start a weekly blog journal (again! - I've started and stopped before). I'm with you on that last statement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done 2 weeks! I'm on a roll. Here is the 1st one. https://abbieandeveline.com/2022/08/15/my-new-weekly-journal-without-a-name/

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.