Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of July 25-31, 2022

I have completed one hundred twenty-five (125) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. I volunteered at the history center, did phenology, and went to Train Club for a public show.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Teams – Elda Wayne “Teensy” Lancaster Played Football. I wrote about my grandmother’s youngest brother who was an athlete at Stephenville High School and Tarleton College.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: Who is Your Current Favorite Ancestor to Research and Why I wrote about my great-grandfather’s brother, Albert Hork, who was a Roman Catholic priest in Nebraska, Arkansas, and Oregon.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended:
I hosted the CCCGS Roundtable meeting with Zoom on Monday. Later, Jacqueline and I continued discussing our upcoming trip to Turlock for research. Three members of Amigos met. I also attended the RootsMagic SIG.

Client Work/Presentations:
I continued working on my lessons and handout for the upcoming course for AppGen. I’m continuing the Foundations 2 and have two weeks completed. We also had an AppGen meeting and we are looking forward to seeing the Spring 2023 course proposals due August 14. Fall course signups are August 8-14. There will be a lot to discuss on the 15th
.

Volunteer Work:
I volunteered at the History Center on Tuesday fulfilling several research requests.

Own Work:
I did not work this week on my own family.

Webinars Viewed

  • Essential Speaker Skills: Making the Presentation Medium Work For You by Cathie Sherwood
  • Organize to Write by Craig Scott

Other: Our German class resumed this week, with Nancy returning from her trip to Germany with high school students. We heard about her adventures and never got to Harry Potter! I also had lunch with model railroad friends I hadn’t seen in a while and that was nice. I listened to Giants games on the radio while I worked on my lessons. I also got in three walks this week. I need to build up my stamina for our trip to NYC in September as we tend to walk 15K steps or more every day.

I am reading:

  • Death in a Strange Country by Donna Leon—FINISHED!
  • Switchboard Soldiers by Jennifer Chiaverini—FINISHED!
  • They Fought Like Demons: Women Soldiers in the Civil War by Deanne Blanton & Lauren M Cook
  • The Oxford Guide to Library Research by Thomas Mann
  • Ghosts of Gold Mountain by Gordon H. Chang
  • On the Farm Front: The Women’s Land Army in World War II by Stephanie A. Carpenter

Photos for this week:



Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments