Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of June 10–16, 2024

I have completed two hundred and twenty-three (223) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. We had one last day in NYC on Monday, having dinner at Delmonicos. Then off to Pittsburgh for a couple of days and then to Chicago for a couple of days. We visited botanic gardens in both Pittsburgh and Chicago. Saturday night, we got word our train out of Chicago for Los Angeles was canceled. There were no other options so we’ll fly home on Tuesday.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings:  None this week.

Genealogy Writing/Research:
I did some research in Will County, Illinois at the court records office and the county recorder’s office. The clerk at the courthouse has to do some research to locate the old records I’m interested in. One of our newest CGs, Deb Dean, joined me at the recorder’s office and we tackled the deed indexes. The clerk, Melissa, showed us a book that acted as an index which was much better than looking at microfiche. She was such a help that if I discover there are more, I’m sure I can help further help from her. I got ten deeds for Vincent Sievert. I started transcribing them and discovered two that involved their daughter, Julia, who was my great-grandmother.

Blog Post Published:

Locating Supporting Documentation About a Proposed Texas Bill. For 52 Ancestors’ theme of “Hard Times,” I wrote about how I located the support for a bill that was introduced for the relief of N.H.O. Polly, who was on hard times.

SNGF: Three Things for Father’s Day. We were to write about three things that influenced our life.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work:
I gave a presentation to the Livermore-Amador Genealogical Society on Monday evening on church records. A 7 pm presentation was done at 10 pm in eastern time. Boy, I was tired afterward.

Webinars/Courses Viewed: None.

Other:
We spent two days in Pittsburgh and visited the botanic garden, rode one of the inclines, walked across several bridges, and walked all over downtown. Our train left at midnight and we arrived in Chicago the next morning. We caught a Metra train to Joliet, so I could go get court and deed records. Saturday, we rode another Metra train north to visit the Chicago Botanic Garden. Boy, the cicadas were noisy! Sunday, was a lazy day, once we found out we had no train. It was both hot and super windy outside, so after venturing out to Lou Mitchell’s for brunch, we stayed at the hotel and got caught up on stuff.

I am reading:

  • Westward the Tide by Louis L’Amour—FINISHED!
  • Wilful Behaviour by Donna Leon—FINISHED!
  • The Mystery of the Lost Cézanne by M.L. Longworth

Photos for this week. Pretty flowers from the Pittsburgh & Chicago Botanic Gardens.




Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Very lovely photos! And sounds like you had a productive week of genealogy too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.