Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- Your "Other" Life

For this week's mission, Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing has challenged us to: 

1)  Tell us about your "other" hobbies or interests outside of genealogy and family history research, writing, speaking, etc.  Be mindful of your family's privacy, though!

2) Write a blog post of your own, respond with a comment to this post, or write a Facebook status post or a Google+ Stream post.

I do have another life outside of genealogy, even though I could spend 8-10 hours per day doing genealogy research and writing. I do have other kinds of fun as well.

a. Birding. I’m a birder and try to go out at least once a week, even if only in my yard and neighborhood. I do try to get to Moorhen and McNabney Marshes, Heather Farm Park, or the Martinez Shoreline to watch for birds.

b. Gardening. I have a small native plant garden that is in full bloom right now. I also care for many varieties of geraniums in pots.

c. Reading. I love mysteries and historical fiction and if I can combine the two I’m in seventh heaven. My favorite authors are: Victoria Thompson, Tony Hillerman, Alexander McCall Smith, W.E.B. Griffin, Elizabeth George, Margaret Truman, and Susan Elia MacNeal to name a few.

d. Sports. My favorite game is baseball and my team is the San Francisco Giants. I try to get to a few games per year with my girlfriend or I watch or listen to the games daily. I also like to watch women’s soccer and tennis tournaments when I have time.

e. Volunteering. I volunteer with several organizations. I’m a member of the board at the Contra Costa County Historical Society and volunteer at their archives weekly. I am a member of Friends of Alhambra Creek and one of our projects is working with students from the New Leaf Academy where we’ve planted native plant gardens around town. I also work with the John Muir National Park as a phenology observer once a week. We record observations about 16 plants weekly for the National Phenology Project, whose data help track information about weather change.

f. Exercising. I try to attend yoga classes twice a week, walk, and ride my bike. This I need to do more of!
Copyright © 2016 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. When the pandemic ends, you should take a trip here - to Tucson. Madera Canyon, just to the south, is a huge birding paradise.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.