Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - What Genealogy Resource Are You Thankful For?

Your mission, should you decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible! music) is to:

1)  Elizabeth Swanay O'Neal has a monthly blog party for geneabloggers to write about a certain topic.  This month the topic is "What genealogy 'resource' are you thankful for this year?"

2)  Please join the blog party and write about your response on your own blog post, in a comment on this post and/or Elizabeth's post, or on Facebook. 

I am most thankful for the website FamilySearch.


Each day, more and more records have been digitized and put online. These are not just indexes, but actual images of original documents! It has made researching so much easier. I can either find records from my own home, or if the image is locked, go the eight miles to the local Family History Center and view the images on their computers.

So now there are three ways to view records at FamilySearch:

Microfilm, not yet digitized. Must view at the Family History Library

Digitized microfilm, available at all computers!

Digitized microfilm but locked, can only be viewed at a Family History Center or Library
Even though some images are not available to me from home, I am thankful that they can be viewed digitally at the Family History Center or Library.

Copyright © 2017 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I'm a huge fan of Family search as well! I'm amazed at what I've been able to find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, Lisa, I chose FamilySearch. I have broken down more brick walls with its resources than any other source.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great resource! thanks for sharing :)

    Lis
    www.discoverfamilyroots.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I began my serious FH research by looking at the I.G.I. on microfilm at my local studies library, and then progressed to Family Search when that became available online. I had great success with my Rawcliffe family and through it found I had connections in the USA who I knew nothing about. But then somehow I got distracted onto,Ancestry and other sites. I have come again recently to realize the worth of Family Search through comments on Facebook genealogy groups. Thank you for the endorsement.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.