Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of February 19-25, 2018

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing started this meme and I loved the idea. Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week.

Genealogy
I have written the blog post for 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks, this week about an heirloom made by my father-in-law.

I also did a Saturday Night Genealogy Fun post about which ancestors were alive in 1900. I used the 1900 U.S. Federal census records to determine this.

No work was done on my portfolio, but I did meet with my certification discussion group this week for a short time. My internet connection was spotty on the train as we were passing through the rural areas outside of Santa Barbara.

I continued to worked on the lesson plans, primarily for the Immigration and Naturalization class for the upcoming Intermediate classes that I’m teaching in March for the CCCGS and Concord FHC, and in May for CGS at the Oakland FHC. There is so much to discuss in that topic and I want to have some hands on exercises. Luckily, it’s the second class, so I have some extra time. 

Travel
Monday we visited the World War II museum in New Orleans. It was excellent but we only had time to view the three main exhibits. The Road to Tokyo was very moving and well done.


We rode the Natchez, a real steam boat along the Mississippi River on Tuesday.



We also toured the St. Louis Cathedral and the Katrina and Mardi Gras exhibits in the state museum.


Wednesday, we were back on the train for the start of our return home. We rode the Sunset Limited for two days to Los Angeles and then the Starlight. It is great to be back home. Our total route for the trip can be seen here:

Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments