Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Your Maternal Grandfather's Matrilineal Line

It's Saturday Night -

time for more Genealogy Fun!




Your mission this weekend from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is to:

1) What was your mother's father's full name?

2) What is your mother's father's matrilineal line? That is, his mother's mother's mother's ... back to the most distant female ancestor in that line.  Provide her ahnentafel number (relative to you), and her birth and death years and places.

3)  Tell us about it in your own blog post, or in a Comment on this post, or in a Facebook post.  Please put a link to your post in Comments here.

Here's mine:

1. My maternal grandfather (#6) was Tom J Johnston (1912-1973).

2. Tom’s mother was (#13) Nell Hutson (1888-1919), who married (#12) Thomas Newton Johnston (1885-1951). Nell was born in Texas, perhaps in Comanche County, and died of the young age of 31 in Comanche County, Texas.

Nell’s mother was (#27) Sarah Helena “Sallie” Selman (1858-1916). Sallie was born in Cherokee County, Texas, and married  (#26) Peter H Hutson (1853-1930). She died of the age of 57 in Gustine, Comanche County, Texas.

Sallie’s mother was (#55) Amanda Deborah Oldham (1822-1880). who married (#54) Greenlee Bean Selman. Amanda was born in Alabama and she died at the age of 67, perhaps, in Baylor County, Texas, where she is buried.

I do not have parents for Amanda in my database I have not worked on this line in many years. Checking the FamilySearch Family Tree, I see Amanda Deborah Oldham (no. LHKF-9CP) has parents of Elias Earl Oldham (1775-1840) and Mary Ann Greenlee (1782-1840).[1] Both of these people died in 1840, which explains why they did not appear in my radar before.

I shall not be adding them quite yet. With the clues on the tree, I will do some investigation. It is interesting that Amanda’s husband (actually her second husband—she married her first husband’s cousin) has the same first name as her mother’s maiden name. Is there a story there?


[1] FamilySearch Family Tree, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/LHKF-9CP), Amanda Deborah Oldham, no. LHKF-9CP.

Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I see you got about as far as I did! But at least you have those hints from FamilySearch. I hope they are productive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun to find FamilySearch hints for a short line. You are wise to investigate for yourself, but at least you have something to research. I've run out of ideas and places to look for my line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will have to wait, as I have other things on my plate right now. But it was nice finding.

      Delete
  3. Southern research can be difficult, especially if the locality you're researching is a burned county.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.