Skip to main content

SNGF – What Genealogical or Historical Societies Have You Joined?

Calling all Genea-Musings Fans:

It's Saturday Night again -

time for some more Genealogy Fun!!






Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing has our assignments today:

1)  What genealogical or historical society have you joined in the pursuit of your family history research over the years?

Here’s mine:
The first society I joined was the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society, which is a local society to my home, which meets in the evening. Two other societies broke off from this one in order to have day-time meetings. I joined many years before I attended a meeting. I worked nights and was busy raising children, but I enjoyed reading the newsletter. Someone would report on what the monthly speaker spoke about and there were always lots of articles about new computer or internet resources. The first meeting I attended, they had me stand up and introduce myself. I didn’t say much—just my name and that I mostly researching Johnston, Lancaster and Loveless lines from the south. During the break, the evening’s speaker rushed up to me wanting to know which Gorrell line I researched. Turned out that Betty Gorrell Kot and my husband were distant cousins.

I do not remember when I joined the National Genealogical Society, but I enjoyed reading the magazine. The journal was much more difficult for me when I first started. I enjoy reading the case studies now that I am a more advanced researcher. I joined the Association of Professional Genealogists to become active in the local chapter, where we would visit archives on field trips. The chapter is not currently active.

In 2004, I joined the California Genealogical Society and have served on their board, volunteered at desk duty in the library, led research trips to Salt Lake City at the Family History Library, and am currently a Zoom host for a member roundtable and am on the beginning genealogy education committee.

After retirement, I started volunteering at the Contra Costa County Historical Society’s archives, where I mostly answer queries, process new collections, and maintain the library. I also serve as Secretary on the board. I am also a member of the Sacramento German Genealogical Society and am part of the Der Blumenbaum committee. I have written several articles for the journal.

Besides NGS and APG, I am currently a member of the Texas State Genealogical Society, Dallas Genealogical Society, Erath County Genealogical Society, the Turlock Historical Society, Arkansas Genealogical Society, the Swenson Center Associates, and Kinseekers (out of Florida) where I joined to attend a monthly military SIG led by a friend.

In the past, I have been a member, off and on, of the Utah Genealogical Association and the Southern California Genealogical Society, mostly to get a discount when I attend their institutes.

I have probably forgotten a society or two that I have been a member of. They likely were short-term memberships.

Copyright © 2023 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. That's a healthy list of societies, quite a few more than me. Good job on remembering all of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I did forget a couple. I'm recording secretary for the Sonoma County Genealogical Society and I have been a member in the past with the Virtual Genealogical Association.

      Delete
  2. You began the way I did, by first joining a local society. Mine was in SoCal. You are currently a member of quite a few societies. Most of mine were more transitory - a few years at most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few of mine have been, too. If I get a good newsletter and they have nice speakers, I'm more apt to join.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.