Skip to main content

Fearless Females - Day 17

This is a blogging theme for the month of March which is Women's History Month. I'm a bit behind but do want to participate in the daily blogging posts. These 31 posts will be posted between my two blogs "My Trails Into the Past" and "Mam-ma's Southern Family."


March 17 — Social Butterfly? What social organizations or groups did your mother or grandmother belong to? Sewing circle, church group, fraternal benefit society or lodge? Describe her role in the group.


My mother, Lea Johnston, served as Social Secretary in her Freshman year.

Later after she was married to my father, William J Hork and had a couple of children, was a member of the Junior Women's Club in Pittsburg, California.    From a newspaper clipping in the  23 Jun 1960 Oakland Tribune,  I learned:

"Junior Club Officers Inducted.  The Junior Women's Club of Pittsburg has installed Mrs. Bess Gibson as president, succeeding Mrs. Edward Marchoke.  Other 1960-61 officers include: Mrs. Frank Pieriszkiewicz, vice present; Mrs. William Hork, secretary; Mrs. Cyril Bruno, treasurer; Mrs. Ally Petchal, pariamentarian; Mrs. Marchoke, auditor, and mrs. James Hanges, club coordinator."




Copyright © 2011 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past

Comments