Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of February 24-Mar 1, 2020

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Genealogy
Blog Writing:

Webinars/Study Groups Attended:   
I attended both online study groups this week, checking in with my progress on writing the Hork book and finishing up with the adult school class.

I attended these webinars this week:
  • “Adding Branches to Your Family Tree Using DNA,” Angie Bush at RootsTech  livestream.
  • “2019: The Year of the Copyright,” Judy G. Russell, RootsTech livestream.
  • “DNA, Genealogy, and Law Enforcement: All the Facts,” Blaine Bettinger, RootsTech livestream.

Client Work/Presentations:
I finished the last genealogy of the winter quarter at the Acalanes Adult School on Thursday. This week we discussed all the records that can document death. 

Volunteer Work:
I worked at the History Center, continuing to update the Newspaper Finding Aid with our new microfilm donations.

I did the second class of the Intermediate Records Class for California Genealogical Society at the FamilySearch Library in Oakland. We discussed Probate records this week.

Own Work:
This week I did some Coor research, downloading some census records of collateral lines and deed records from Sampson Co, North Carolina. 

I also worked more on the Hork Family Story, working on the chapters about weddings, school, and the introduction.

On Friday, I met with Jacqueline for our bi-monthly study group at the Walnut Creek Library. I had picked her up first from the Jeep dealer and we picked up drinks and food from Starbucks, so ate our lunch in the park. That gave us a lot more time working in the library and I worked on the Hork book.

Other:
I pulled weeds on Monday at the John Muir National Historical Park, and worked at the Coast Division meet at the auction. Below are some shots I took of blooming plants.






Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments