Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- What's On Your Genealogy Bookshelf?

It's Saturday Night -

time for more Genealogy Fun!

Here is Randy’s assignment tonight from Genea-Musing.  Our mission is to:

1)  Teresa at the Writing My Past blog wrote a post about her genealogy bookshelf, even showing photographs of the books on several of her shelves.  Linda Stufflebean thought this was a good SNGF topic, so here we are!

2)  Tell us what books, or types of books are on your genealogy bookshelf/ves in your home.  Do you have a photo of them?  Are there specific books that you use more than others?

3)  Tell us about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a post on Facebook.

I have genealogy books on several different bookcases in my home. The ones I use most often are next to my desk. Others are placed based on their size, though I have most of my German genealogy books together. Actually my books get moved around often as I always take books to share when I teach genealogy classes.

Important books on my shelf are:
  • Evidence Explained by Elizabeth Shown Mills
  • Genealogy Standards by Board for the Certification of Genealogists
  • Chicago Manual of Style
  • Mastering Genealogical Documentation by Thomas W. Jones.
  • Mastering Genealogical Proof by Thomas W, Jones.
  • Professional Genealogy: Preparation Practice & Standards, ed. by Elizabeth Shown Mills
  • North Carolina Research by Helen Leary

Some new books I have on my shelf include:
  • How to Find Your Family History in U.S. Church Records by Sunny Jane Morton and Harold A. Henderson
  • Your DNA Guide the Book by Diahan Southard
  • Creating Family Archives by Margot Note


Here is a photo of the books from my Library Thing account showing those books I’ve tagged as genealogy. I think I need to add a few more.



Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. I have most of the "important books" you listed, and I think I even know where some of them are.

    Great idea about looking in your Library Thing account. I didn't think about going into my Kindle and pulling up the genealogy-tagged books there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have quite a few of the same books on your Library Thing bookshelf and the ones you've mentioned separately. I love Library Thing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.