Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - Pauleen's Crazy Month of May Pandemic Meme, Part II

It's Saturday Night -

time for more Genealogy Fun!


Our assignment from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings is the following:
Your mission, should you decide to accept it (cue the Mission Impossible music here) is to:
1)  Check out Pauleen Cass's blog post, Crazy Month of May 2020 Meme: Pandemic Experiences.  We did the first 10 prompts last week.
2)  Let's do the last 11 of the prompts this week.
3)  Tell us about your own pandemic experience in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a post on Facebook.  Be sure to leave a link to your work as a Comment to this post and also on Pauleen's post.
4)  Thank you, Pauleen!!
Here's mine:
11)  What have you found to be the strangest change to your life?  That I discovered I don’t mind staying home. I miss the chance to visit with people in-person but I really enjoy just staying home.

12)  Have you found the changes and experience stressful/anxious/worrying?  I worried at the beginning for our daughters, because they worked in restaurants. Once they stopped working, then I worried about the youngest because she lived in NYC where the cases seemed so high. But she made it through it. My worry now is whether she can afford to stay with no job or a reduced job.

13)  How have the closures affected your local community?  People have been good about ordering take-out from those restaurants that serve. There are small businesses that probably have suffered a lot more. Utilities and rent still have to be paid even if no income is coming in.

14) Have in-person meetings been replaced with virtual meetings via Zoom, Skype etc?  Finally our local genealogy societies have moved to virtual meetings. This will unfortunately leave out those without the resource or the where-with-all to connect to the virtual meetings. And with the virus, one can just go to their house to help. A special interest group has had weekly virtual meetings since the end of March and they all chipped in to purchase the Zoom subscription so we could meet. The plus to that is several members who had moved out of state are now able to re-connect with their friends.

15)  Do you enjoy the virtual meeting format?  Yes. I especially like not having to drive to meetings. Some meetings are actually shorter because there is no side conversations, people talking over people, and the business gets done. I like my German language class on Zoom because I could see everyone’s face and hear better (especially wearing headphones). It was a struggle in in-person classes sometimes.

16)  Are you working from home instead of in your usual place of work? I am retired, so I’d say I’m still working from home. I have not had client work since the lock-down because the vital records offices are closed, too. I did do some volunteer work for the local historical society from home (queries mostly that could be done online). The in-house research had to wait until we could return to the center, which we did this past week. We are not open to the public yet.

17)  Have your habits changed over the past months?  I have not had but two drinks from Starbucks, one on my birthday and one this past week. I did not want to wait in the drive-through line 45 minutes. Our local one is open for app purchases and I got a tea lemonade on my way home.

18)  Have you had to cancel travel plans for pleasure or family?  Many plans were cancelled. The Pacific Coast Region of the National Model Railroad Society’s convention in April was cancelled. We had a private car train trip planned after the PCR convention from Los Angeles to Chicago and then we were to stop in Denver on our way back to see our niece graduate from college with a masters. That trip is rescheduled for September, though I bet it won’t happen. I also had a trip to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City planned. I was the trip leader for 14 of us from the California Genealogical Society. I had also planned to go early for the National Genealogical Society’s conference the week previous. Our 40th anniversary is in August and we were trying to decide where to go. Nowhere now.

19)  Do you think you’ll be able to travel in 2020?  Personally, I don’t think there will be traveling over the rest of the year. This virus is not going away until most of the people have had it.

20)  Have you/others been wearing masks when out and about in your area? We don’t wear the mask when we walk, but when we go into stores, we wear our masks. Mostly people have been following the rules of the establishments. All the volunteers wore masks this week at the History Center.

21)  Will you change your lifestyle after this experience?  I’m not sure I would ever take a cruise. I was already leery of taking any kind of tour that involved long trips on buses together. An airplane flight might be okay if I felt the crew cleans the planes well. Maybe take the first flight of the morning!

Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Your answers are similar to mine in terms of virtual meetings. I am loving it. I can't tell from your comment whether you've ever taken a cruise. We love cruising, but I've lost all interest. I can't think of anything much worse that being in lock down in a small inside cabin sailing in circles around the ocean. Even without illness, all the possible changes to life on board make a cruise sound like a prison trip. As for future travel - I agree about 2020. I don't think there will be much until the 2nd or 3rd wave of this is through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never really wanted to go on a big ship cruise except perhaps to Alaska. We cruised on the Mississippi River last summer. I would never get an inside cabin. I think it worth the extra to have a view and perhaps a window to open. We were thinking of a European river cruise for our 40th--glad we hadn't gotten that far in the planning.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you had a busy summer of travel planned. I'm sorry you weren't able to go to all of those events. I hope you come up with a great way to celebrate your anniversary at home, though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.