Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - The Time Machine

It's Saturday Night - 

time for more Genealogy Fun! 


Our mission from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing is to:

1) Determine which event in your ancestral history that you would love to be a witness to via a Time Machine.  Assume that you could observe the event, but not participate in it.


2) Tell us all about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a Facebook Status post
.

Like Randy, I have many brick walls and I have written before about one of my biggest I’d like to solve. You can see here, along with more links to previous posts about my trials and tribulations.

I would love to discover the birth parents of my 3X-great-grandfather, Samuel Johnston, who was born about 1816 in South Carolina. I am hoping that in the process, I would learn which county this happened in, so I can hope to continue the line further back.

I have been stuck in Yalobusha County, Mississippi where the family appeared in the 1850 census. Most of the children had been born somewhere in Alabama. His wife, Elizabeth McCormack (1814-1891), was also born in South Carolina, and my hope is she came from the same place as Samuel.

Burned county in Texas really thwarted my research, where I might have had some clues.

So, please, Time Machine, may I go back in time to see the birth of Samuel?

Copyright © 2020 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. That sounds like a good time period and location for the use of a time machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. South Carolina is a tough nut to crack. My husband has a widow born in the mid 1700s in SC who migrated to Knox County, TN in the 1790s. The surname - Broadway - isn't terribly common, but in the few places I've found it in NC and SC, I haven't found any records to help crack the brick wall. Good luck with your search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, SC is a tough one. Actually, if I could find them in Alabama, that might help, too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.