Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of April 19-25, 2021

I have completed fifty-eight (58) weeks of semi- “lock down” due to Covid-19. This past week, I taught at the Adult School, volunteered at the History Center, went to the meadow for phenology, and picked up tea lattes at Starbucks twice. Other than that, I stayed home and worked on the computer, writing lessons and Zoom practicing for our model railroad convention on Saturday.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Week 16: DNA—What I’ve Done and Not Yet Done I have not solved any genealogical problems using DNA but have tested several people.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Tell Us About One of Your Elusive Ancestors. I wrote about Benjamin W. Jones of Rankin Co, Mississippi. I know nothing of his origins except he was born about 1822 in Virginia. My goal is to research the other Jones men in the county and see if I find a connection.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: Jacqueline & I met on Tuesday and talked about citations and three of the Amigos met on Wednesday and Stewart helped us with settings on our blog. I joined the 1919 study group on Sunday and we had a good discussion and found some online resources on Library of Congress and Law Review Commons to search for court actions.

Webinars & Classes Attended
: I attended four genealogy webinars.

  • Turning Raw Info into Evidence by J.H. Fonkert, a BCG webinar
  • 3 Ways to Advance Your Research with Correlation by Shannon Green
  • Win-Win, Win-Win! The Quadruple Benefits of Publishing in Bluegrass Roots by Frances Nelson Salyers, APG Writers SIG webinar
  • Moonshine and Stills: Finding Archived Records for Your Moonshiner Ancestor by Melissa Barker

Client Work/Presentations:
I taught my third sessions of the Adult School on Monday and spent the rest of the week creating the lessons for the last class in both the beginning records class and the workshop writing class. This session has been great. I also worked on finishing up one of the client reports, and then beginning the next one. Both of my next clients are long-term and will involve several months.

Volunteer & Own Work:
At the History Center, I continued with the library inventory after following up with some research queries. John came in the afternoon and help me. I did no research of my own except looking at the Benjamin W Jones records in Rankin Co, Mississippi for the Saturday Night Genealogy Fun post above.

Other: We practiced a few times for 2021 PCR convention and then on Saturday, I did my shift between attending the convention. I think it went off pretty well, considering we had just a week or so to practice. We had the PCR Board Meeting and the Business Meeting on Thursday. At the convention, I announced that I chose Phil Edholm as the Coast Division Member of Year. I went to Train Club for an operating session but it never happened, so I went home after an hour.

I also entered some photos to the Mt. Diablo Audubon Society’s Photo Contest. They have more categories this year.

I’m reading the following books:

  • 1919, The Year of Racial Violence by David F. Krugler
  • Schooled by Gordon Korman
  • Writing Interesting Family Histories by Carol Baxter

Photos taken this week:


 Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments