Skip to main content

Week 16: DNA—What I’ve Done and Not Yet Done

I have not solved any genealogical mysteries with DNA (yet). I do have burning questions that I would love to answer, but haven’t found the right people to test.

Who Has Tested
I have tested at Ancestry, 23andMe, and Living DNA. I have uploaded my Ancestry DNA to FamilyTree DNA and MyHeritage. So, I feel I’m doing the right thing and are prepared to solved problems.

I have asked some family members to test. My maternal grandmother first tested mitochondria DNA at FamilyTree DNA when that was the only test available for women. Later, when autosomal was available, we upgraded to that test.

Here is the projected ancestry for my grandmother, which agrees with what I have researched so far. Her ancestry is deep in the South and I haven't yet found an immigrant except on the Lancaster line.

I also asked my paternal aunt to test the mitochondria DNA at Family Tree DNA and, when available, we upgraded with the autosomal test. Having both my maternal grandmother and paternal aunt tested, it helped me divide which matches were on my father’s side and which were on my mother’s side. Unfortunately, my parents died before testing could be done.

My husband has tested at the same sites plus has done Y DNA. His mother has tested at Ancestry, so that helps with dividing the matches between dad’s and mom’s sides. It was fun to see his Living DNA show the Cornwall ancestry which matches right up with his Davey family line.

Education
I have read both of Blaine Bettinger’s DNA books, Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy and Genetic Genealogy in Practice. This summer I will be taking my first DNA class. Patti Hobbs is coordinating a Beginning DNA course at Institute Genealogical and Historical Research (IGHR) which will be held virtually again this year. I am looking forward to the class and learning more about what I can do with my matches.


Copyright © 2021 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. It's not easy is it! I am just a beginner, enjoying the exploration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.