Skip to main content

Mom Made Our Clothes

Having a large family sometimes made it tough to stay within budget. One way to keep expenses down was to shop using coupons, buy items that are on sale, cook your own food, and make your own clothes. My mother managed to do all of that.

I have a few photos showing the outfits she made for us. This first shot is of her four oldest children. She made the outfits I think for the photo shoot. The photos were taken in black and white and when I tried to colorize the photo, the print of the fabric did not come out the correct color. These dresses and shirts were green gingham.


Once, we took a train ride and she had us all wear these same outfits. I think it made it easier for her to spot us on the train and train platform, and it made it easier for the train conductor to see that we were all together. Mom also had a dress made of the same gingham. 

She shopped at the nearby J.C. Penney for fabric, always starting at the sale bin of remnants. When I look at the prices for fabric back then, it seems so cheap, but one needs to remember what the wages were at that time.

Contra Costa Times, 26 Aug 1964

Here is another shot of me with my two younger brothers. We all have shirts made from the same fabric. I loved jumpers and my mother made lots for me over the years. They didn’t require zippers at all.

Although my mother made clothes from patterns, she had her own shortcuts. I’m really surprised she was able to make shirts with buttons. Later in time, she focused on dresses with zippers and didn’t make clothes for my brothers. They wore T-shirts to school.

I had home economics in 8th grade and we did learn to sew. I made an A-line skirt and a sleeveless dress. I remember wearing the dress at church one Sunday when it was very hot and I fainted. Somehow, I connected the dress to the fainting and didn’t wear it again. How silly.

I sewed some outfits for my own daughters, particularly Halloween costumes.


#52Ancestors-Week 20: Textiles—Mom Made Our Clothes

This is my fifth year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe. I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or at My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Your mom's sewing skills must have been top-notch to make these outfits look so terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Her mother was a seamstress but I never asked if she was taught by her mother.

      Delete
  2. Your outfits are all so cute. My mom didn't sew, but my aunt did and she taught me. She wasn't a professional, but she was very talented and took advanced lessons, even making her own coats, which were beautiful. My first project was a gathered skirt in burnt orange fabric with a waistband and hook and eye to close. No zipper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My youngest daughter sewed her own clothes, too. Her first were skirts with elastic waistbands. I need to send my machine to her.

      Delete
  3. It is so lovely having clothes made for you isn't it? My mother used to make my clothes and I treasure those memories. I think she would have been a fashion designer if she could have.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.