Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of May 2-8, 2022

I have completed one hundred twelve (112) weeks of semi-lock down due to Covid-19. I went out to the history center, the Oakland FamilySearch Library, the Contra Costa County Recorder’s office, and out to dinner on Mother’s Day.

Genealogy

Blog Writing:

Lela Nell Johnston Elected as Social Secretary I wrote about my mother’s social activities in her freshman year at high school.

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun: What Excites You About Genealogy? Genealogy does excite me and I wrote about those things.

Online Study Groups & Meetings Attended: Jacqueline and I met, still making plans for our research trips. At our AppGen meeting, we decided to announce our fall classes and discussed how we would promote them. Friday, the Der Blumenbaum team met to discuss what needs to be done for the July issue.

Client Work/Presentations:
I presented to last intermediate class at the Adult School this week. I presented my Research Plans talk to the Fiske Genealogy Library in Seattle. Lastly, I got a birth certificate from the recorder’s office for a client.

Volunteer Work:
At the history center, John and I worked on the Fahden collection and returned the completed boxes to the special collections. I hosted the Intro into Genealogy class on Saturday.

Own Work:
I worked on a couple research projects during the week. First, I looked at several Gorrell family files and pulled out paper that is not needed. I began doing some research in newspapers on my great-great-uncle, Albert Hork, who was a priest. I discovered some interesting things and have begun writing up a timeline.

Webinars Viewed: None this week.

Other: My oldest daughter came to visit on Mother’s Day. We played several games of Yamslam and went out to dinner at a new seafood place.

I am reading:

  • The Guarded Gate by Daniel Okrent
  • The Women of the House by Jean Zimmerman
  • To the Land of Lost Friends by Alexander McCall Smith—Finished!
  • The Sacred Bridge by Anne Hillerman—Finished!

Photos for this week: Shots from some of our native plant gardens in downtown plots.









Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments