Skip to main content

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- What Excites You About Genealogy Research?

It's Saturday Night -

time for more Genealogy Fun!


Our mission from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing is to:

1)  What excites you about genealogy research?  What part of performing genealogy and family history research really excites you - what keeps you coming back day after day?

Here’s mine:

Generally, I spend four to five hours a day on some type of genealogy. Some days more, some days less.

I have “completed” much of the genealogy of my children’s ancestors up to the five generations and nearly finished up to six, with a couple of exceptions: research in Counties Cork and Tipperary, and a Swedish line. Besides the direct ancestors, I have spent a lot of time researching collateral family members in each generation, at least by a generation or two.

Any research that I do now is mostly filling in details about land, probate, and tax records as I write biographies of the family. As new digital images come online, I replace digital for paper copies in my files.

I have done offline research where there are no images available in the FamilySearch catalog. I send emails to local record offices asking for copies of records or look for a local researcher to do the pulls for me.

As more newspapers are digitized, I find many articles that can add details to family stories. It’s also fun to find little details about ancestor’s everyday life.

With most of the research completed, I am writing more now. Some research is done to supplement the stories I write for my two blogs. Some is done for biographies for my files. When I do research, I am writing up the research results more. I have also written some articles that have been published in historical society and genealogy journals.

I read several blogs daily, genealogy journals monthly or quarterly, and watch webinars to keep up with genealogy methodology. Other writing that I do is preparing lesson plans and presentations that I give to a local adult school, local genealogy societies, and to students in my new business, Applied Genealogy Institute. Teaching others about genealogy is the best.

I need to select a couple of projects to write up for my upcoming BCG recertification. Likely I’ll write up a KDP-like document on one of my family lines and perhaps a detailed research report on another problem I have recently solved.


Copyright © 2022 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. But Lisa, you didn't sound excited! I wanna see you jump up and down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Newspapers will keep us all busy for a long time as more and more are digitized. I think they are my most fun resource at the moment because, as you say, articles add many details about our ancestors' lives that otherwise might be lost to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely most fun. I discovered yesterday, that the great-great uncle who was a Catholic priest went to Chile for nearly a year. I never knew that. Found the leaving and returning articles about it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.