Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of September 9–15, 2024

I have completed two hundred and thirty-five (235) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. Outside home activities involved volunteering at the History Center, attending the CCCHS Board meeting, train club meeting, and the train club show, where I worked as the trackwalker.

 Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings:  
Jacqueline and I met on Zoom and discussed new iPads for use with the Family Tree Notebook sheets. We planned our trip to RootsTech 2025 during Amigos. For the Kinseekers Military SIG, I asked a question about the WWI Bakers & Cooks schools. I attended the first of what I hope are many peer-support & accountability group meetings for those of us CGs who want to work on our renewals. Roundtable met and the five of us shared what we were working on. Lastly, I attended Book Club and we discussed the book, American Fly Girl by Susan Tate Ankeny.

Genealogy Writing/Research:
Most of my writing this week was centered around the articles for Der Blumenbaum and Nugget. I submitted a draft of the Der Blumenbaum article and got some feedback to work on. The Nugget article is still in the planning stages. I research the Woodmen of the World and Woodmen Circle for an upcoming blog post.

Blog Post Published:

A Trip to Comanche County, Texas, to View Tombstones. For 52 Ancestors’ theme of “Tombstone,” I wrote about the cemeteries I visited last May in Comanche County, Texas.

SNGF: Have You Used a Family Tree Checker? I wrote about using the RootsMagic Problem Search.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work:
I am still working on the Pleasant Hill Historical Society Collection both on Tuesday and Friday. As I began to create the finding aid, I realized that some of the boxes needed to be better organized, so I am still organizing the collection. The are numerous boxes of files about schools and I am sorting them into school-named files. On Friday, I got an update on the project John is working on.

I also met with NGS about the upcoming conference. We are still working on a plenary speaker and may have someone lined up.

My writing group met this week. No one submitted any writing, so we discussed instead how to fix the table of contents in Jacqueline’s document and about different publishing programs we could use. Everyone thought they would look into Affinity Publishing, which is similar to InDesign but a lot cheaper.

Webinars/Courses Viewed:
I began the Fall SLIG course, Advanced Study of Death, coordinated by Gena Philibert-Ortega. This is a weekly course until mid-November and I am the Hiveminder. My internet stayed on the entire time. Yeah! I also viewed the following webinars:

  • Avoiding Distractions by Craig R Scott (APG Writers SIG)
  • Translating German Newspapers: As Easy as Eins, Zwei, Drei by Mary Roddy (LFT Webinars)
  • AI and Family History: Entending Beyond the Basics by Andrew Redfern (LFT Webinars)
  • 10 Things You Don't Know About Cemeteries by Gena Philibert-Ortega (LFT Webinars)

Other:
We hiked the Pine Creek trail at Castle Rock Park and had cookies to celebrate our leader, Karen’s birthday.

I am reading:

  • American Fly Girl by Susan Tate Ankeny—FINISHED!
  • Death of a Hussy by M.C. Beaton—FINISHED!
  • Journeys of the Forgotten: The Orphans of Hamilton County, Iowa by Jill Morelli

Photos for this week.






Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments