Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of September 23–29, 2024

I have completed two hundred and thirty-seven (237) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. Outside home activities involved my volunteering at the History Center, phenology, attending a Giants baseball game, and flying to Salt Lake City out of Oakland Airport.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings:
At our weekly Zoom meeting, Jacqueline and I discussed her research with the McCurdy family in Arkansas. I attended a peer group about BCG renewals and the Monday Morning group on Zoom.

Genealogy Writing/Research:
The only writing and researching I accomplished this week was preparing to write the two blog posts.

Blog Post Published:

Homesteading in Minnesota – A Poor Illiterate Irish Miner Gets Land. For the 52 Ancestors’ theme of “Homestead,” I wrote about Jeremiah Sullivan’s homesteading in Todd County, Minnesota. It was highlighted on Friday’s Family History Finds and by Randy Seaver in his "Best of . . ."

SNGF: An Ancestor Who Experienced or Did Something Unique or Memorable. I wrote about a great-grandaunt who ran for County Superintendent of Schools in Deer Lodge County, Montana in 1900 and served one term.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work:
I am still working on the Pleasant Hill Historical Society Collection and spent two days at the History Center working on it. On Wednesday, I attended a meeting where this subcommittee continued our discussion of one part of the strategic plan.

I traveled to Fairfield in Solano County to do some client record pulls. I am so loving my new printer that scans!

I attended the Sonoma County Genealogical Society board meeting on Zoom and took the meeting minutes. I hosted the CGS RootsMagic SIG this month with Keith on vacation and answered other members’ questions.

Webinars/Courses Viewed:
I attended the third session of the SLIG course, Advanced Study of Death, coordinated by Gena Philibert-Ortega.

I also viewed the following webinars:

  • Buried in the Federal Records Center: Uncovering XC Pension Files by Alec Ferretti (Legacy)
  • Finding Origins & Birth Families: Methods That Work by Elizabeth Shown Mills (Legacy)

Other:
I attended a San Francisco Giants game with a long-time friend. Although the Giants lost, we had a good conversation together. Sunday, I traveled with the CGS group to Salt Lake City for a week of research in the FamilySearch Library. I hope to get a lot of writing done.

I am reading:

  • Gamerville by Johnnie Christmas – FINISHED!
  • Lost Birds by Anne Hillerman – FINISHED!
  • The Unclaimed: Abandonment and Hope in the City of Angels by Pamela Prickett
  • Journeys of the Forgotten: The Orphans of Hamilton County, Iowa by Jill Morelli
  • Yours Truly: An Obituary Writer’s Guide to Telling Your Story by James R Hagerty

Photos for this week.
There was no hike this week, so my photos are from my journey to Utah.






Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments