Skip to main content

What We Don’t Talk About Enough

Learning about our family history is exciting. We’re hoping to find interesting people who have done interesting things--maybe even outstanding things. We’re hoping to connect to famous people in history. Sometimes we do, but most of us have ancestors and family members who just lived normal lives, working hard at surviving and making a life for themselves and their families.

Along the way, we discover family members who struggled with surviving and supporting themselves or their families. They may have even abandoned their families. We ask ourselves why? Often these stories don’t get passed down through the family and we don’t learn why.

Often the root cause is mental illness, something we only recently talked about in our culture. In the past, a person with mental illness may have been sent away to a hospital or home and forgotten. It’s a shock when we discover a family member in a mental home or hospital through a census record or an obituary.

My first experience with this is discovering my great-grandfather, Johan Anton Hork, was so distraught that he drank carbolic acid in the backroom of a saloon when they would not serve him anymore. I discovered this very early in my research. I just asked for an obituary from the library in Sheridan, Wyoming, and got a lot more than I expected.[1]

Later, I discovered that two of his sons, Frank W. Hork and Raymond J. Hork, were sent to the Montana State Hospital where they died, Raymond at age twenty-eight, and Frank at age sixty-seven.[2] The Montana State Archives have records from the state hospital but these are closed to researchers. So, I don’t know why they were sent there. Frank died of chronic myocarditis and Raymond of exhaustion of dementia precox.

His third son, my grandfather, lived his last years in a veteran’s hospital, likely due to alcoholism, though he died of suppurative tracheobronchitis due to bullous emphysema.[3] When I asked my aunts about why he was in the hospital, they said he was violent when drinking.

A pattern can be seen here. The father was a heavy drinker and may have been violent. He was kicked out of his home. Three sons had mental issues. Two were sent to the state hospital and the third was sent away. My grandparents never divorced but my grandmother kept her children from their father.

We should talk about mental illness that runs in the family. Keeping it secret doesn’t help descendants who may suffer from their mental illness. Knowing the history of mental illness may help in getting the proper treatment.

#52Ancestors-Week 36: “We Don’t Talk About It”

This is my seventh year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe.

I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.


[1] "The Carbolic Route," The Sheridan (Wyoming) Enterprise, 17 Aug 1906, p 3. Many newspapers across the west covered this incident. I found the news in San Francisco papers once newspapers were digitized widely.

[2] For Frank, see Montana State Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, death certificates, no. 15115, Deer Lodge Co, Frank M. Hork, 1952. For Raymond, see Montana State Board of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, death certificate, no. 126234, Deer Lodge Co, Raymond J. Hork, 1917.

[3] California State Department of Public Health, certificate of death, local no. 7097-049175, Los Angeles County, William Cyril Hork.


Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments

  1. Lisa, this is a great post. Yes-mental health is something that we as a society need to recognize and talk more about. Thank you for putting this out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad stories of these men and their mental illness problems. I agree with you--we should talk about mental illness in the family and any other health issues so descendants will be aware.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this. My 2x GGM developed "puerperal mania" after a stillbirth, and was sent to Danville Asylum in Montour Co., Pennsylvania in 1877, where she died in 1881. I've told her story in many blog posts and writings. I'm sorry you can't get her files. I was fortunate to be able to get Catherine's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Through family history research, I discovered my 2nd great-grandfather was hospitalized multiple times for mental health issues. I don't know the exact nature of them (will have to wait until I can travel to England to view his medical records as they're not digitized), however, I do know that two of his grandsons suffered with mental health problems, one of them spending much of his adult life in a mental health hospital. My mum (his niece) said he'd sometimes arrive to visit the family, wanting to stay, but he was never stable for long enough for that to happen. She has been open with me about this, but knew nothing about her great-grandfather and his struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Intereseting topic. Yes, mental health is something that needs to be talked about in our family history as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be previewed by the author to prevent spammers and unkind visitors to the site. The blog is open to other-than-just family members particularly those interested in family history and genealogy.

If you are family and want to be contacted, contact me at snrylisa @ gmail.com.