Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of September 30–October 06, 2024

I have completed two hundred and thirty-eight (238) weeks of semi-lockdown due to Covid-19. I spent five days in the FamilySearch Library in Salt Lake City, eating out a couple of times in restaurants, and flying home on Friday evening, wearing a mask in the airport and on the plane.

Genealogy

Genealogy Meetings:  
Jaqueline and I met on Sunday afternoon and talked about my trip to SLC and her upcoming procedure. Steward, Jacqueline and I talked via phone one day while we were in SLC, as Jacqueline couldn’t go at the last minute.

Genealogy Writing/Research:
I conducted lots of research on the Polly family in Lewis County, Kentucky, and did a little writing, in preparation for a case study writing class I’ll start this week. On my last day at the FamilySearch Library, I worked on my husband’s friend, Rod’s family.

Blog Post Published:

Least Amount of Maternal Cousins. For 52 Ancestors’ theme of “Least,” I wrote about how few cousins my mother had.

SNGF: Share How You’ve Implemented Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Your Genealogy Research. I wrote about using the FamilySearch every-word search in court and land records and that I have used ChatGTP very little, as I prefer to do my own writing.

Genealogy Volunteer/Work:
Because I was gone on a research trip, I did very little volunteer work. I met with a potential plenary speaker for the upcoming NGS conference and did some work at the History Center on Saturday after getting back home. It was great catching up with Maxine on the projects I’m working on.

Webinars/Courses Viewed:

I attended the fourth session of the SLIG course, Advanced Study of Death, coordinated by Gena Philibert-Ortega. We learned about tombstone carvers and colonial diseases.

I also viewed the following webinars:

  • Formatting & Publishing Your Family History by Deborah Holman (GeneaBloggers)
  • Formatting and Publishing Family History on Lulu by Linda Holten (GeneaBloggers)
  • Tools for Content Creators by Jenny Howran (GeneaBloggers)

Other:
I enjoyed the two flights to and from Salt Lake City as both Southwest flights were only partially full, allowing the middle seat in most rows to be empty. The flight there had quite a bit of turbulence over Utah and on the flight home, the plane was way too cold. I wished I hadn’t packed my blanket. I left my foot stool at the library and will need to call lost and found. I hope they can hang on to it until I get there in March for RootsTech.

I am reading: I did not read much this past week, instead watched JAG on Amazon Prime in the hotel room on my computer.

  • The Unclaimed: Abandonment and Hope in the City of Angels by Pamela Prickett
  • Journeys of the Forgotten: The Orphans of Hamilton County, Iowa by Jill Morelli
  • Yours Truly: An Obituary Writer’s Guide to Telling Your Story by James R Hagerty

Photos for this week.
A shot of the temple still under construction and my setup at the library.

Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great at documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week. This idea came from Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing, who started this meme.

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments