Skip to main content

Ten Children Make a Full House

My 2x-great-grandparents had ten children, all of whom grew to adulthood. Five boys and five girls were born to John Gleeson and Margaret Tierney, all in Carleton County, Ontario, Canada. In 1879 the entire family moved to Dakota Territory and settled in Davison County. John and his three oldest children, including his daughter, Anna Marie, purchased land from the Federal Government. But farming the prairie had its troubles and only Martin continued while the others lived in the town of Mitchell.


These photos of the children were taken in Mitchell, South Dakota. I am not sure who is who, except for the youngest boy and youngest girl.

Six of the children married. The four eldest had children, giving John and Margaret thirteen grandchildren. The first to die was my great-grandmother, Anna Marie Sullivan, who died at age 51. All except one child moved from South Dakota and settled in Montana, Oregon, and California. Three daughters taught school. One son worked for the highway department. Another helped with the Hoover Dam construction. One lived to 99 years. Two held local public office.

All-in-all, John and Margaret were probably very proud of their children. 

#52Ancestors-Week 52: Full House

This is my seventh year working on this year-long prompt, hosted by Amy Johnson Crow (https://www.amyjohnsoncrow.com/) at Generations Cafe.

I write each week in one of my two blogs, either Mam-ma’s Southern Family or My Trails into the Past. I have enjoyed writing about my children’s ancestors in new and exciting ways.

 

Copyright © 2024 by Lisa S. Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments