Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of March 26-April 1, 2018

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing started this meme and I loved the idea. Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week.

Genealogy
Intermediate Class. The fourth class in this six-week series was about military records. The time was just right, but I need to create some kind of exercise with this class so it’s not all lecture. I worked on the next lesson about court records over the weekend. 


Webinar & Hangouts:
I listened to one webinar “Formulating a DNA Testing Plan,” by Blaine Bettinger. On Wednesday morning, I participated in the DearMyrtlestudy group working our way through Val Greenwood’s Researchers Guide to American Genealogy. Marceline and I were the moderators and except for some dead air space, I think it went well. Cheri helped out by speaking freely about the homework, too!

Oakland FHL: Volunteered again this week. I held my place at the center desk, taking care of receiving money for copies made by patrons. I got a little time working on some locked digital films for the client’s work.

CCCHS History Center. Finished up the last of the deed collection for the client and sent them to him. A DVD of all of the images will be created next week when Scott gets back from vacation.

BCG Cert Discussion Group: We met this week and everyone in the group was present. We discussed our progress with the certification process. Dennis is probably the furthest along. He hopes to be finished soon. I need a client report and will actively seek out someone to do some research gratis.

Client Work: I finished up the 5th research report for a client. Most of the resources I was using are from San Francisco. Since the 1906 earthquake and fire destroyed all the vital, court, and probate records, it was hard to put together thorough research. I had to use four different newspapers found on three different online websites. I probably put in more than ten hours (more like twenty) but still only charged him for ten.

Blog Writing: I am behind on the 52 Ancestors. If have completed Week 12: Misfortune about Martin Gleeson with a mill accident. I also got in a Saturday Night Genealogy Fun post in.

Family
I celebrated my birthday quietly, first at the intermediate class, then in German Discussion class. I worked on the second piece of birthday cake over four days. It was so rich that just a few bites at a time were perfect!

My daughter, Elizabeth, came down for a birthday dinner at Kobe in Pleasant Hill where we had the hibachi grill. We all ordered seafood: Elizabeth and I had prawns and scallops while Norman had lobster and scallops. It was very tasty!

On one of the walks this week, I took some photos of spring blooming flowers. These give me a great smile to see bulbs blooming. My own California Poppies are starting to bloom, too.



Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments