Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Week of May 21-27, 2018

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing started this meme and I loved the idea. Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week.

Genealogy
I drove up to Sacramento to attend the Sacramento German Genealogical Society’s presentation about military records given by Dr. Kathryn Marshall. She covered a lot of information in the hour and a half! The handout is full of great links.

Because I attended the above meeting, I did not volunteer at the History Center of the Contra Costa County Historical Society. However, on Wednesday, a group of us visited the Museum of San Ramon Valley in Danville in order to see their special exhibit on Chinese and the Transcontinental Railroad. It was a very nice exhibit. I also asked if we could view their archives and we went into both the library on the ground floor and the archives area on the second floor. I’m writing up an article for the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society’s newsletter about the researching opportunities at this museum.


I presented the fourth class at the California Genealogical Society’s Record Series Class in Oakland on Wednesday. Actually, it was the fifth class on researching offline because somehow I copied the wrong PowerPoint file unto the flash drive. Luckily I had the next class on the flash drive for the save!

I also participated in the California Genealogical Society’s all day seminar on Chinese Research. I helped handout packets at the beginning and was a consultant to answer questions during the breaks. It was a great seminar with over 70 people participating.

For client work, I drove down to San Jose to get a divorce packet but was unable to get it because it was too old to be in the computer and they have to order it from off-site storage. I arranged for them to mail it directly to the client. It was good to know of that if I go again. I also worked more on the genealogy summary for another client.

I did meet with the four others in our certification study group. Some progress has been made by all but we didn’t discuss the article as planned. I have been working on my case study, trying to add DNA evidence. Our next meeting will be in two weeks.

Blog Writing: I wrote a few blog posts these past two weeks:

Volunteer Work:
More weed-pulling this week in the native garden at the John Muir National Historic Park in Martinez. Several volunteers work on this garden located at the front of the visitor's center weekly.





Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments