Skip to main content

Monday Genea-pourri, Weeks of May 7-20, 2018

Randy Seaver of Genea-Musing started this meme and I loved the idea. Genealogists are great at documenting our ancestors’ lives but not so great documenting our own. I’ll write about what I’ve been doing the past week.

Genealogy
I worked two Fridays this month at the Desk of the California Genealogical Society’s library. The first Friday I had a couple of researchers looking for their aunt. Last week I had two researchers looking for someone to translate a record written in Portuguese. I sent them up to the FamilySearch Library.

Our CGS Intro Class group had a meeting, as we are changing the format. Each first Saturday class would be one of three types of class: overview, records, and organization. We talked about who would work on which part and scheduled ourselves for the following year. I’m to work on the overview class.

I did get to meet with the Certification Study Group. All five of us were able to meet and discuss our progress. I had worked on my case study thinking about how to incorporate DNA into the argument. We also discussed the Helen Leary article from the 1999 NGS Quarterly supplemental issue on Evidence.

The monthly Monday Morning Genealogy group met and I picked up Kathie at BART. We discussed lots of different topics: DNA, archive websites that have digital images, and successes of research. We continued the conversation at IHOP afterwards.

Our Annual Meeting for the Contra Costa County Genealogical Society was on the 10th. During share time, I shared about receiving the personnel files of my grandaunt from the National Personnel Records Center at NARA, St. Louis. The packet I received was over 75 pages and was filled with information about her job in Greece as well as lists of previous jobs. After Greece, she worked for the Bureau of Reclamation in Sacramento.

Lastly, I worked on my client’s genealogy, incorporating the research into a finished product. It definitely taking longer than I expected. I emailed him, explaining that it would take longer. I’m waiting to hear from him before continuing any further.

Blog Writing: I wrote a few blog posts these past two weeks:
·         I wrote about languages in one 52 Ancestors post and about Mother’s Day in another 52 Ancestors.
·         I also participated in one Saturday Night Genealogy Fun post about my mother.

Class
I completed two more classes for the California Genealogical Society’s class Intermediate Genealogy: Records Series. Weeks two and three were about Probate and Immigration.

Baseball
I attended three baseball games with my friend, Beth. The San Francisco Giants played the Cincinnati Reds and out of the three games, the Giants won two. We had great seats on the lower level and the field seemed so close. 




Copyright © 2018 by Lisa Suzanne Gorrell, My Trails into the Past. All Rights Reserved.

Comments